Garden Tillers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at some garden tillers, thinking of buying one for the Spring. Any suggestions on brands, features, or anything else?

Thanks for all responses.

That's akin to asking what the best vehicle is -- depends entirely on how much you want to spend, and how you're going to use it (size of garden, soil condition, etc).

If you can answer those couple of questions, I can give some guidance.

Years ago I bought a Sears Craftsman.
Kinda cheap & junky.
Bought in 1997 for $360.00 (new).

The 'gear' box is stamped sheet metal and developed stress cracks (probably from digging up rocks).

Would not have lasted to much longer.
So I dedicated it to being a lawn aerator.

If I had to purchase a Roto-Tiller today,
I would see what Sears offers & price.
Then shop for something alittle better.

The first time I used a rear-tine model, I swore I'd never battle a front-tine machine again!

I don't own one anymore, but have borrowed a neighbor's Craftsman rear-tine with a Honda GC engine. Runs smooth and will break sod w/out breaking a sweat.

Look for one with a cast iron gear box. My Dad ran a nursery for years after he semi-retired. He would only buy front tillers as he could turn them on a dime. But typically he was just tilling ground that was in good shape already and just wanted it really fine so one could plant seedlings with your fingers.

Like others have said, this depends on how much land you need to use the garden tiller on and what kind of work you plan on doing. Lighter work with looser soil will only require a front-tine tiller, while heavier work with tough soil requires a rear-tine tiller. In terms of brands, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Earthquake, Mantis, and Ariens all make good models. I found a list of the best garden tillers here: Tillers Direct .

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Try and find a used Troy bilt from the pre-MTD days. Those were pretty rugged machines.

Ah, TroyBilt is now MTD (looked it up, 2001). We got lucky and got one used a long time ago. It's built like a tank, it'll outlast me. If you can find one at a good price, snap it up.

I would also be on the hunt for a pre-MTD Troy Bilt. I've owned front tine tillers, rear tine tillers, and this spring came across a basket case '84 Troy Bilt Horse with the Briggs I/C 8hp engine. One engine rebuild later, and that thing is hands down the best tiller I've ever owned. It's not going anywhere for a long, long, time.

In my simple world rear tine > front tine, and forward rotating tine > counter rotating tine. My mom has a post - MTD Troy Bilt horse with the counter rotating tine and I can't stand it. Ironically enough, I've been given the job of selling it this spring when gardening season starts.

Last edited:
I've been on the fence about buying a tiller myself. We put in a 20x50 garden this last spring. I'm still debating whether it's worth it to buy one when it will probably only get used once a year, or if it's just better to rent one every spring.

I had a bunch of dirt to move when we put the garden in this spring, so we rented a Bobcat. It was only a few bucks more to get the tiller attachment for the Bobcat than it was to rent a walk behind tiller, so we got the Bobcat tiller. Talk about making short work of tilling the garden...lol. That was so much fun that after I was done with the garden I went over to the neighbors house and tilled up a big section of his yard where he wanted to put down new sod.
laugh.gif

Bobcat-Tiller-attachment.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back