Frame replacement

One thing to keep in mind if you want to push for a total loss is that the ACV less the salvage value of the record truck might be less than the repair cost. That thing is still probably worth $12-$20k in salvage as it sits.

Follow up with the adjuster and explain that they should total it in the name of customer service since you’ll be without a truck for 3+ months and the repairs are probably more than the total loss payout once USAA sells the salvage.
This is a good point. If the total loss threshold is 100% in his state then it might be harder to do but calculating salvage into the mix it is possible. I used to do constructive total losses in some states I worked in where we used visible damage + hidden damage + salvage + towing and storage to get over the threshold.

Last edited:
This is a good point. If the total loss threshold is 100% in his state then it might be harder to do but calculating salvage into the mix it is possible. I used to do constructive total losses in some states I worked in where we used visible damage + hidden damage + salvage + towing and storage to get over the threshold.

Here’s what I’ve found and what I’d push, @ls1mike

RCW 46.04.514

Salvage vehicle.

“Salvage vehicle” means a vehicle whose certificate of title has been surrendered to the department under RCW 46.12.600 due to the vehicle’s destruction or declaration as a total loss or for which there is documentation indicating that the vehicle has been declared salvage or has been damaged to the extent that the owner, an insurer, or other person acting on behalf of the owner, has determined that the cost of parts and labor plus the salvage value has made it uneconomical to repair the vehicle.

Here’s what I’ve found and what I’d push, @ls1mike

RCW 46.04.514

Salvage vehicle.

“Salvage vehicle” means a vehicle whose certificate of title has been surrendered to the department under RCW 46.12.600 due to the vehicle’s destruction or declaration as a total loss or for which there is documentation indicating that the vehicle has been declared salvage or has been damaged to the extent that the owner, an insurer, or other person acting on behalf of the owner, has determined that the cost of parts and labor plus the salvage value has made it uneconomical to repair the vehicle.
Problem is and the way I understand it is USAA has to declare it a total loss. They have not, and the body shop agrees.

Problem is and the way I understand it is USAA has to declare it a total loss. They have not, and the body shop agrees.

This is the language I’d reference:

“has determined that the cost of parts and labor plus the salvage value has made it uneconomical to repair the vehicle.”

Ask the adjuster to run a Copart Proquote to see the salvage value. @Owen Lucas may be able to look one up for you, as well.

In the 80’s you would bring that to cooter and they would bend the frame straight using a 100T winch then weld in a liner and pound out the rest.

Was it good as new?
Nope, drove it as found anyway

Ask the adjuster to run a Copart Proquote to see the salvage value. @Owen Lucas may be able to look one up for you, as well.
I don't have access to Proquote, but I will look into it. For a salvage bid, I would call up my contact(s) at IAA or send an email.

In the 80’s you would bring that to cooter and they would bend the frame straight using a 100T winch then weld in a liner and pound out the rest.

Was it good as new?
Nope, drove it as found anyway
There are still shops out there like this, still being run buy guys named Cooter. They are fascinating and scary at the same time to work with.

One of these shops in my territory referred to a computer as a "brain box".

Last edited:
I don't have access to Proquote, but I will look into it. I would call up my contact(s) at IAA or send an email.

There are still shops out there like this, still being run buy guys named Cooter. They are fascinating and scary at the same time to work with.

One of these shops in my territory referred to a computer as a "brain box".
BRAIN BOX I'm crying.

Not directly relevant, but worth posting. The state of Washington, where this truck was titled and where the accident happened, does not issue salvage titles. The state of Washington issues bill of sales for a vehicle that was "totaled", the state does not issue salvage title. So when the winning bidder receives the vehicle, they will not receive any title in an y form whatsoever for the vehicle, but instead receive a bill of sale. This is actually a really big deal for numerous reasons.

Not directly relevant, but worth posting. The state of Washington, where this truck was titled and where the accident happened, does not issue salvage titles. The state of Washington issues bill of sales for a vehicle that was "totaled", the state does not issue salvage title. So when the winning bidder receives the vehicle, they will not receive any title in an y form whatsoever for the vehicle, but instead receive a bill of sale. This is actually a really big deal for numerous reasons.
So how hard would it be for one to re-title a vehicle like this that’s sold at auction?

So how hard would it be for one to re-title a vehicle like this that’s sold at auction?
Nick,

Great question- it varies by state. In Oregon, all one has to do is show the receipts for parts and the state will convert an Oregon salvage title to a Oregon rebuilt title.

In Washington, it is beyond brutal. Because no title is issued, the inspection has to be in the state of Washington to get a bill of sale converted to a rebuilt title. The inspection must be scheduled, and only scheduled a week out. Appointments can only be scheduled on-line, from 1100-1102 on Thursdays. Not making this stuff up. State of Washington requires receipts with the donor vehicle VIN on the receipt. State of Washington will research the donor vehicle vin. Just crazy.......

This is a 2005 Lexus GX470 I finished last March. It has a Washington state bill of sale. I have yet to get lucky enough to get an inspection appointment.... maybe I will get lucky today.

vehicle_2.jpeg
PXL_20230515_000614854.jpg

Nick,

Great question- it varies by state. In Oregon, all one has to do is show the receipts for parts and the state will convert an Oregon salvage title to a Oregon rebuilt title.

In Washington, it is beyond brutal. Because no title is issued, the inspection has to be in the state of Washington to get a bill of sale converted to a rebuilt title. The inspection must be scheduled, and only scheduled a week out. Appointments can only be scheduled on-line, from 1100-1102 on Thursdays. Not making this stuff up. State of Washington requires receipts with the donor vehicle VIN on the receipt. State of Washington will research the donor vehicle vin. Just crazy.......

This is a 2005 Lexus GX470 I finished last March. It has a Washington state bill of sale. I have yet to get lucky enough to get an inspection appointment.... maybe I will get lucky today.

View attachment 181873View attachment 181874
So that's why there have not been any updates on the GX lately. Good luck with the inspection appointment; hopefully you'll get someone that's reasonable. That one turned out nice.

Reactions: GON

That has to be the craziest process I have ever heard of.

Appointments can only be scheduled on-line, from 1100-1102 on Thursdays. Not making this stuff up. State of Washington requires receipts with the donor vehicle VIN on the receipt. State of Washington will research the donor vehicle vin. Just crazy.......

So there is a 2 minute window to make appointments online? There has to be like 1 or 2 slots with such a small window. Seven months to get a reinspection appointment is brutal indeed.

Crazy process but protects the consumer.

Probably why auto salvage storage sites are popping up all over the place here. The one @GON frequents near me is pretty big. I couldn’t tell you how many acres that one is and they are expanding.

Reactions: CKN
Back