Ford V6 3.0 Vulcan Consuming Oil @ 140,000 kms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a 2007 Ford Ranger with the 3.0 V6 Vulcan engine currently at 160,000 kms and has been consuming ~1 L of oil throughout a 10,000km oil change interval. It has been doing this since ~140,000 kms. No leaks on the underside that I can find. It's a minor annoyance, especially considering the mileage is relatively low and this is known to be a pretty durable engine.

This truck was bought new and I am extremely meticulous when it comes to maintenance. This truck is not driven hard at all. Dealer serviced for the first 50,000 km, after of which I have been performing the servicing myself using synthetic oils every 10,000 km. The last 50,000 kms I have been using 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum and a Napa gold (Wix) 1516 filter. I did try a thicker 5w30 Quaker State Defy high mileage oil for one OCI about 20,000kms ago to see if it would improve things. Did not notice a difference.

So just curious for anyone experienced with this engine and if this has happened to you. Maybe it's just a fluke? Could it be a problem with the piston rings? Maybe I should switch over from synthetic to a high mileage oil over a few OCIs to see if it will help?

Its NORMAL for a vulcan to burn a quart every 7000 miles at this mileage. One of mine in a taurus did it at 50000.
You are luckier that the trans has not imploded.

That's nothing, my Vulcan was drinking at least a quart of synthetic 5w30 high mileage every 1k by the time it had 130k miles on it.

I only ever used 10w30 or 5w30 too, never 5w20 even after it we back specd

Thanks guys, didn't realize this is considered normal for this engine. All our family's cars we take care of and have never had any oil consumption...even on my 4Runner's 3.4L V6 with 340,000 kms
laugh.gif

I've actually never seen Valvoline MaxLife here in Canada but maybe it's time to switch to a high mileage.

The 1991 Ranger with the Vulcan I had used a qt every 3500 miles from start to finish when we sold the truck with 354K(miles).

Not bad, try a 5W30 and a new PCV valve. I'd go OEM with the PCV valve and make sure the hose isn't plugged up.

I say go with looking a the PVC and it is good advise to me, THANKS EVERYONE , as I have an 02 Vulcan in a Tarus bought it with with 64K on the clock, I havent used any oil with only 72K on it , bought it out of an auction ran 1 short OCI to clean it up per Blackstone, and since then not a drop , the majority of my miles are hiway/interstate miles. From what I haveseen short term these engines arent picky on oil I'm running Pep Boys Proline 5W30 2nd lab came back stellar
cool.gif

Last edited:
I had a 93 Aerostar 3.0L. I junked it with 212,000 miles of hard use, a lot of short hopping, traffic, you name it. The engine was great, and so was the transmission. It needed an exhaust, a windshield, tires, shocks, brakes, a complete front end, thanks NY potholes. So it was time to go. It also had a rotted through oil pan which I fixed with lead flashing. It used/leaked a bit of oil but nothing too bad.

I tried 5w20 when I heard it was back spec'd but ended up switching back to 5W30.

Check the PCV, when mine went oil use went up. A motorcraft PCV fixed it in short order.

Good point on the PCV, I'll try that. Is there any difference between OEM Motocraft and aftermarket? I figure it's just a simple check valve. I actually cleaned the PCV @ 120,000 kms and it looked good.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Good point on the PCV, I'll try that. Is there any difference between OEM Motocraft and aftermarket? I figure it's just a simple check valve. I actually cleaned the PCV @ 120,000 kms and it looked good.

I can speak from personal experience with PCV valves and Fords, some people might disagree. Here goes: I can recall two instances now where I changed the PCV valve and used aftermarket, Fram and Purolator. Both times oil use went up. They were replaced as maintenance items, not for a problem. There was no oil use prior, I changed them as part of a tune up. Both times I removed the aftermarket PCV valve when oil use went up. I replaced them with Motorcraft and oil use stopped, both times. That was proof enough for 'ME'. My only mistake was not learning after the first time, and not listening to people who told me go OEM with PCV valves. I had to learn for myself.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: nobb

I can speak from personal experience with PCV valves and Fords, some people might disagree. Here goes: I can recall two instances now where I changed the PCV valve and used aftermarket, Fram and Purolator. Both times oil use went up. They were replaced as maintenance items, not for a problem. There was no oil use prior, I changed them as part of a tune up. Both times I removed the aftermarket PCV valve when oil use went up. I replaced them with Motorcraft and oil use stopped, both times. That was proof enough for 'ME'. My only mistake was not learning after the first time, and not listening to people who told me go OEM with PCV valves. I had to learn for myself.

I agree. From my experience with Fords stick with the Motorcraft valve. I too had trouble with Fram and I think it was Purolator brand PCV valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back