Ford Mustang OZ (ANCAP) crash test possible issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Appears to be a new testing regimen.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/517368/ill-never-drive-a-ford-mustang-again/?source=plistat

From Link above...

I’ll never drive a Ford Mustang again
OPINION: PAUL MARIC
by Paul Maric Senior Road Tester2 days ago
4.7K SHARES
Ford Mustang banned

You can imagine how chuffed I was, painting a set of 11s on the tarmac during my first drive of a manual Ford Mustang GT with its hearty naturally aspirated V8 engine.

In fact, it was around this time last year that I was singing its praises on social media. It all culminated at the end of last year when we ran our performance car test at Motorworld.

I flung the Mustang around the track and was blown away with how dynamic it felt, for such a big car, and how enjoyable it was to drive at its limits.

That all came crashing down this week when we received a media release from local crash-testing body ANCAP. I thought the title was a mistake: “Ford Mustang scores concerning 2 star safety rating.” (Read the story here.)

It wasn’t a mistake. The car I and thousands of other Australians had fallen in love with, scored one of the worst test results in ANCAP history.

What’s even worse is that it’s now been revealed that ANCAP approached Ford multiple times through 2016 to see if they could supply a vehicle for crash testing. The organisation even looked at purchasing a vehicle, but, thanks to the Mustang’s popularity, the waiting list was simply far too long.

ANCAP had to approach its European sibling, Euro NCAP, to ask for the vehicle to be tested. It’s an important test, because it was the highest-selling vehicle on the Australian market without a crash rating. It’s also a vehicle that was being reviewed as a new highway patrol vehicle for police

Huh, wonder if I'm safer in my '99 Camry... probably not.

I find it kinda hard to believe. This is a global car, so does it gets a reasonable crash rating elsewhere? I'm no Ford fan but something is amiss here.

Oh Jesus, who cares?

The testing came out AFTER the design of the car, so the car couldn't be designed to pass. Rest assured most of the cars owned by members of BiTOG would fare much, much worse.

Maybe they designed it to protect the crowds at car meets instead.
grin.gif

Poorly written article. Correct me if I'm wrong but the European teat gave the Mustang a lower score partly because certain safety equipment was not standard on the version sold there. For 2018 the version will include more electronic safety equipment.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Oh Jesus, who cares?

The testing came out AFTER the design of the car, so the car couldn't be designed to pass. Rest assured most of the cars owned by members of BiTOG would fare much, much worse.

An Aussie bitog member possibly interested in one?
21.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
“Mustang delivered a four-star result for Adult Occupant Protection, a three-star result for Child Occupant Protection and a five-star result for Pedestrian Protection. However, a two-star result in the Safety Assist pillar determined the overall result of a two-star rating.

The title should read "Mustang receives bad rating for really really stupid reasons".

The hilarious thing is that the "Safety Assist Pillar" has exactly nothing to do with how well a vehicle does in a crash. Just addresses how many erroneous gizmos it does or does not have.

The car could have cured cancer and achieved world peace in a car accident, and it still gets a 2 star rating because it doesn't have enough garbage in it.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Quote:
“Mustang delivered a four-star result for Adult Occupant Protection, a three-star result for Child Occupant Protection and a five-star result for Pedestrian Protection. However, a two-star result in the Safety Assist pillar determined the overall result of a two-star rating.

The title should read "Mustang receives bad rating for really really stupid reasons".

The hilarious thing is that the "Safety Assist Pillar" has exactly nothing to do with how well a vehicle does in a crash. Just addresses how many erroneous gizmos it does or does not have.

The car could have cured cancer and achieved world peace in a car accident, and it still gets a 2 star rating because it doesn't have enough garbage in it.

Now, why would you go and read the article in detail and form your own opinion? The headline and the rating alone should have given you enough reasons to be outraged. Blind brand bashing would also be acceptable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back