Fix windshield chip yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used one years ago and it worked well. The chip became invisible. I haven't seen those kits for some time.

I used the Permatex. The one with the syringe and suction cup. It worked OK on a small "bullseye" chip. I can still see the chip, but probably because I know it's there. It's definitely about 75% better. More importantly, I think it stopped the chip from becoming bigger and requiring a new windshield. For what they cost, give 'em a shot.

Well, your insurance will probably pay for the chip to be fixed as it is less expensive then a new windshield.(almost all do) Second, any auto glass place will repair it for $50 and it is worth having the experts do it and they will also tell you if it is the kind of chip/crack that can be filled. You can try the kit, IMO they don't do the job and you will be out the $10 or so to purchase it.

I am with Spector! It does not make sense if your insurance will cover it! I have used the kits and they work about 50% of the time. It is my experince that if the chip mushrooms under the first couple of layers of glass the kits do not work well. The kits only work well on well defined bullseyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back