Filter Rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
08 Saturn Outlook. 110k.Non Direct Injection Only ever used M1/EP or PP/PU. With either a M1 or P1 Filter. Always stick to a 5k change since these engines are known to beat up oil.

Just curious if there are any updated thoughts on maybe using the PSL Filter or a BDP. I dont mind spending the extra bucks for the filter if i will get better cleaning/flow within the 5k over something else

To tell you the truth, I think the FRAM Ultra actually out performs the PSL and BDP just based on the ISO efficiency tests.

I know based on Purolator's own info on their website that the PureOne filters better than the Purolator PSL.

Does this car have a spin-on or cartridge type oil filter?

Stick with P1. Best filtration and you certainly won't have any flow worries if changing every 5k.

Cheaper too.

+2 For the intervals you want and your desire for high efficiency the PureOne makes a lot of sense.

I believe the D+ beats it by a small margin in filtering but it doesn't make much sense for 5k OCI's at it's price IMO.

5k miles?

Any Puro Classic, OCOD, Supertech, etc will do fine.

I have yet to see any real-world data correlation to wear and filtration selection in a "normal" OCI. What tiny difference that a premium filter might make, is totally obscured by "normal" variation of wear metals.

The number one thing that affects wear is the tribochemical anti-wear layer that is established by the oil via aging oxidation and interaction with the metal surfaces. Full flow filters are basically "chunk catchers" that prevent catastrophic development of issues. It is the add-pack and resultant anti-wear layer that most affects general daily wear. And that is controlled by the OCI duration (longer is better, believe it or not).

You can buy a more expensive filter for this application as stated if you "want" to, but it's not "needed". You might sleep better knowing you're running a premium filter, but your engine won't notice the difference, and your wallet is going to be lighter.

Same could likley be said about your oil selection, but that's a whole other topic ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back