filter effeciency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this is old info, but I just got it right from the purolator and champion:

The efficiency ratings of the Purolator Premium Plus and PureOne filter media are as follows:

Premium Plus:

40 Micron: 100%
30 Micron: 99.9%
25 Micron: 99.5%
20 Micron: 97.2%
15 Micron: 90.3%
10 Micron: 70.6%
5 Micron: 30.8%

PureOne:

40 Micron: 100%
30 Micron: 100%
25 Micron: 100%
20 Micron: 99.9%
15 Micron: 99.2%
10 Micron: 92.8%
5 Micron: 51.3%

Tom (Filter Hot Line)

Champion:
. . . But we make them for those companies at there specifications, and all information is proprietary and can not be given out being it is there information. For specifics such as efficiency questions you would have to contact either Super-Tech or AC Delco for this information.

Bob Buckman
Technical Assistance Representative
Champion Labs.

I do not. I only have info from purolator and champion (regarding AC delco and supertech). If I get time I'll try and get more percents from other companies.

If those numbers for the pureone are what the actual product on the store shelf will do then it is a very good bargain.

Champion will not give the efficiency for ST because that info belongs to ST. Champion says I need to contact ST, but ST does not seem to have a way of contacting them. Does anyone know if they have a website/email?

Quote:

Do you happen to know the Napa Gold line as far as %? Thank you so much for the info!

Wix makes the Napa Gold and NASCAR. If you assume WIX media = Gold then:

Go to the WIX website and punch in the filter number. Spec's will come up for the filter p/n. They are usually listed with two partical sizes related Beta numbers (kinda tricky to keep them staight).

See http://www.filtercouncil.org/index.php?page=technical-service-bulletins for beta to % translation.

Last edited:
Hm, well it lists this

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/31
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating:

But I cannot find on that link you supplied what the 2/20=14/31 and all that means

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/89-5R3.html

search on "beta" or use direct link above

As I recall... it is read as Beta 2 = 14um, Beta 20 = 31.
Which would be 50% efficient at 14um and 95% at 31.

The actual test probably uses a distribution of partical sizes so the above is mathematically derived. I doubt there is a bag of 14um ones and 31um ones.

Also you should note there are Single-pass and Multi-pass test methods which have different implications and results.

I would only compare single to single or multi to multi.

Also note some ratings you see for a filter actually are results of a different filter in the product line. On K&N, M1, FRAM, and others I seen this. In Wix case I think it's actual filter p/n.

When digging deeper, note the test specifications that are used also.

You can go crazy on this topic due to lack of data and confirmation of actual media/results when comparing filters. In the end often you just a feeling for one vs another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back