Filter choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
These oil filters are available at various auto parts stores locally. The filter will be used for 7-10k OCI.

Of these 3 my pick is Purolator Classic, if Pure 1 is available at $6.xx than it will be my first choice. I don't care much for synthetic filters because of the fairly short OCI.

Which would you pick and why ?

Purolator Classic L14619 $3.xx
Fram ToughGuard TG3985 $6.xx
Wix 51626 $6.xx

I'd do the PureOne if you're going out to 10K OCI. If doing a 5K OCI, I'd do the Classic.

I'd go with the Wix, then Purolator Classic.

I'm unfortunately biased against fram. since the OCOD, I see no reason to waste money on their Ultra filter, which is the equivalent to the Wix or Purolator.

The Wix is my favorite because it has a very strong casing, lots of pleats for long life OCI and every single one I've cut open has been nothing but solidly constructed.

Wix, by far.

And, you get an added bonus of a silicone ADBV.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-oil-filters/51626.html

The Fram is a Fram, so it has that working against it. Also, check out the vid. Sure it has a silicone ADBV, the rest of the internals are ugly to even look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cxiiy7odmA

The Puro has a nitrile ADBV. But is cheaper. So there's that.

Silicone ADBV's don't harden from oil exposure and heat cycling and stay pliable when extremely cold for those in cold climates. And they seal better.

Last edited:
Purolator Classic, it can handle 10,000 miles.

Before anyone flames me, LOL, I have seen one of these oil filters go 20,000 miles, and I do not recommend 20K OCI's.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I see no reason to waste money on their Ultra filter, which is the equivalent to the Wix or Purolator.

The Ultra is better than the WIX or Purolator ... not in the same league, as the Ultra is full synthetic meida, and the WIX and Classic/PureOne are not.

I ran a Puro Classic for 10k miles with dino ST, and had a stellar UOA in my Villager.

My 2000 Galant states one can FCI every other OCI; the "normal" OCI is 7.5k miles. Therefore, by their decree, a "normal" filter would be good for 15k miles.

Now, that is NOT my statement of 100% total assurance that a Classic can go 15k miles in every situation.

But, generally, filters (like oil) are thrown out long before their time is up.

Not knowing the exact application you're referring to, makes me a little hesitant to say with certainty. But I can at least infer (via my own experience) that the Classic would at least be a potential player for 7-10k miles.

So, if you are willing to try a Classic for that duration, I'd say there is history to show it can be done safely. But your unique situation would need trials before complete assurance.

And if you can do it on a Classic, then it wins based upon cost.

The other two would be a no-brainer; I'd do 10k miles on them no problem whatsoever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I see no reason to waste money on their Ultra filter, which is the equivalent to the Wix or Purolator.

The Ultra is better than the WIX or Purolator ... not in the same league, as the Ultra is full synthetic meida, and the WIX and Classic/PureOne are not.

The new Wix XP filter is, IMO, on a par with many other syn media filters. However, as I've not seen full ISO data from one yet (and Wix data sucks), it's only my presumption and not a statement of fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The new Wix XP filter is, IMO, on a par with many other syn media filters.

I agree the XP is in the same league, but in the discussions above, poster was comparing the non-synthetic Ultra to the WIX and Purolators being discussed here.

I agree the XP is in the same league, but in the discussions above, poster was comparing the non-synthetic Ultra to the non-synthetic WIX and Purolators being discussed here.

Ooops, correction above.

I would go with either the Wix 51626 or the Fram Tough Guard, as both have a Silicone ADBV.

The Silicone ADBV is arguably the most important factor of a filter, above filtration efficiency. Definitely better than nitrile.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
I would go with either the Wix 51626 or the Fram Tough Guard, as both have a Silicone ADBV.

The Silicone ADBV is arguably the most important factor of a filter, above filtration efficiency. Definitely better than nitrile.

That is a valid point worthy of noting, but it does need to be kept in context.

For example, in my recent 10k mile run of ST dino with a Purolator Classic, I noticed that nearing the end of the testing, the nitrile ADBV was allowing some drainback upon shutdown. So, we'd get some "ticking" from the valvetrain upon start up. That was an annoyance but didn't really make a huge difference as the wear data showed it really was moot. What annoys us, and what affects the engines, are often two sepearate things.

So, will a silicone ADBV help in longer OCIs? That depends upon how you define "help". Will it likely avoid start up noise to a subjective degree? Yes - probably so. Will it make much difference in wear rates? Not by my expereience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back