Exxon M2-V Picture

I know very little about aviation. I find the Concorde fascinating. Saw this on Facebook the other night and thought it was cool and figured I'd share.

1705266837279.jpeg

Last edited:
If memory serves, that stuff was the hydraulic fluid that was used for the drop nose system on Concorde. It's not engine oil but rather hydraulic fluid.

If memory serves, that stuff was the hydraulic fluid that was used for the drop nose system on Concorde. It's not engine oil but rather hydraulic fluid.
Thats prertty cool. I can imagine from the speeds that plane endured, this fluid had to of been some unique stuff to actuate that nose when descending for landing.

It used to turn over my house going into Dulles while lowering its nose so they could see the runway. It was low and loud. House would shake. It was supposed to go up the Potomac further before turning but they would always short cut it.

Phosphate ester-based hydraulic fluid (Skydrol was the original, made by Eastman) is a skin irritant, probably because of the phosphorus.

I wonder if this silicate-ester hydraulic fluid also burns skin.

It used to turn over my house going into Dulles while lowering its nose so they could see the runway. It was low and loud. House would shake. It was supposed to go up the Potomac further before turning but they would always short cut it.
Forever a regret - had enough BA miles to upgrade from First to Concorde but let them expire 😞

Back