Eliminate this pinging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought my wife a 1993 Mitsubishi Expo LRV, and it seems in pretty good shape. However, it does ping like crazy under hard acceleration and when climbing hills.
I don't want to do anything very invasive, I'll be changing the spark plugs, and I'd like to have some advice on what else will help. Just something to try in the fuel tank for now, please. Would Fuel Power be the ticket, and if so, where can I buy it?
Or could it simply be the timing is off?
Any advice/opinions are welcome.
Thanks

Well, if there are no engine codes, then the ECU is still controlling spark timing.

The ECU must be picking up the oscillations from the knock sensor or the O2 sensor may be fouled, AND the combustion chamber and piston crown is carboned up.

While you have the plugs out, check the films or deposits on the plugs, that will give you an indication of the combustion quality, and since the plugs will be out, take a mirror and strong light and see how much carbon is one or more cylinders.

Fuel Power, Neutra, Amsoil PI will all clean the carbon for sure.

IMHO, I would run Neutra first and then use Fuel Power in maintenance doses.

Try H2Oil ,this stuff really gets the carbon out, and doesn't use a gob of solvents like those other ones.Do a search on yahoo and order it on their website. 10ml treats 20 gallons! It's amazing stuff!

just another thought, is the beasty using ANY amount of oil? if even a little, and it is coming through the guides, it can/will cause an engine to ping under load. You may look this way if the other suggestions do not fix the problem.

I don't see any oil consumption at all. I drove behind it while my wife drove it, and saw no smoke at all, except a very small puff once when she stood on the accelerator. The level on the dipstick seems to remain constant.

Tcar,

Are you aware that the h2stuff according to them contains no hazardous materials in it so no msds reporting is needed by law. I wonder what can be in it that would clean carbon but yet has no hazardous materials listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back