Edge 5w30 causes noise???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil change today on my 08 ford ranger with the 4L sohc v6 today. Out came Boss Lubricants Synthetic ZR-1 5w30 with wix filter and in went castrol edge 5w30 (black bottle)with wix filter. When I started it up I noticed a dramatic increase in engine noise. I took it on the highway for about a 6 mile run to bring engine to temp and parked in the driveway, noise was still there. I drained the Edge and put in some new Boss synthetic 5w30 and the engine was quite as a mouse. As a bit of a newbie here i am sure everyone has the specs on the Edge, and the specs on the Boss can be viewed by google search of Boss Lubricants. I am wondering if anyone has had this issue before or has any idea what would cause this. Engine is pristine, regular dealer serviceing under 70,000km. Just curious is all, is the 4L sohc that particular about its oil? Thanks to all on this, its wierd.

forgot to add, i had talked to a rep at the head office of Boss and he said that they use PAO in their syn line, but they can tell me anything i wouldnt know, i have found a shop local and they will do a virgin oil test, if anyone is interested i will post the results when i get them, 20L of this stuff for around $100 not bad up in these parts.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to use Boss stuff. Some of my suppliers kind of look down their noses at it, calling it a discount oil. Well, that may be, but part of that discount is from not spending hundreds of millions in advertising.

A little off topic, but [censored]! I was just perusing their website and they look like the kind of companies we used to have here in the U.S.

I wish they sold it here, I'd use it. Looks like good stuff.

I have to admit that I never really notice much difference in noise from one oil to the next. Sure I can sometimes notice just slightly quieter operation with a heavier oil, but that's about it. Never seen a "night and day" type of difference with oils of the same grade.

Actually I just changed out my winter fill and put in Edge 5W30 (my summer fill) yesterday. If anything the Edge is running just a tiny bit quieter than the Durablend I drained. However the Edge I used is A3/B4, with fair bit more hths than the previous fill. Overall though my car runs nice and smoothly both before and after.

Same thing with "night and day" differences in "butt dyno" engine power for oils of the same grade. Never noticed that myself either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
For some reason, some oils in some applications seem to have a noticeable impact on engine noise.

Yeah, I often wonder what factors, outside of viscosity, would cause this. The Edge black bottle that the OP used is pretty close in viscosity to the Boss 5W30. The Edge is very slightly thicker and has a little bit lower viscosity index.

Last edited:
There is more drag within the Boss ZR-1 5w30 than the Castrol Edge 5W-30. This has a sound dampening effect during engine operation. If you were to strike metal against metal within each respective oil the Castrol would sound more pronounced. There's less friction in the Castrol oil.

Take a ceramic cup filled with coffee and swing a spoon against the inside. It clanks brightly. Do the same with a cup of hot chocolate. The sound is duller. Same principle.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
There is more drag within the Boss ZR-1 5w30 than the Castrol Edge 5W-30.

I'm not sure about that theory. According to the online data sheets the Boss is 58.2|10.5 cSt @40|100C, while the Edge is 62.6|10.7 cSt @40:100C. So if anything I would have thought the Edge would have more drag - but not really enough difference to have any dramatic effect on the noise.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the information, love this site and am starting to become addicted to it lol which could prove to be expensive...take care:)

I noticed the same thing in my liberty with the original edge (gold bottle).Engine was loud especially when cold, ended up leaving it in for 7k, replaced with PP and no more noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back