E15/E30/E50 and E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Quick and Ez has a new pump now with E15 / E30 / E50 and E85. I've never seen this before. Anyone else?

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Sounds like the IL corn farmers have a strong lobby. Please don't bring it here! FWIW-Oldtommy

Seconded.

Now, this could make you wonder which stations out there aren't labeling which pumps have over 10% volume.
37.gif

What's the cost like for the different blends?

When E85 was really cheap I manually mixed to about E30. Lost a couple mpg, but in $/mi it was cheaper. Didn't encounter any issues.

I don't think it's something you would notice right away......more likely degradation over time......

Though, I do hear Ethanol makes a very good fuel injector cleaner :p It'll "dry up" water in your tank....but the fuel pump and fuel LINES hate the dry corn ethanol, since it's so dry, and has very little "lube" left to it.

I drive a classic, daily drive, that is, and I've started early, adding my own "lube" to the oil, every fill up, if I miss a fill, it's definitely every other.....usually TCW-3 or MMO at 1-3 oz. per gallon of fuel (no more than 4 oz. per fill up).

It's called a "blender pump". You can choose your own ethanol blend from E0 to E85. Nearest one to me is about 40 miles away.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I don't think it's something you would notice right away......more likely degradation over time......

Though, I do hear Ethanol makes a very good fuel injector cleaner :p It'll "dry up" water in your tank....but the fuel pump and fuel LINES hate the dry corn ethanol, since it's so dry, and has very little "lube" left to it.

I drive a classic, daily drive, that is, and I've started early, adding my own "lube" to the oil, every fill up, if I miss a fill, it's definitely every other.....usually TCW-3 or MMO at 1-3 oz. per gallon of fuel (no more than 4 oz. per fill up).

Don't you mean to the gas? ...and did you miss per 10 gallons of fuel or really mean 1-3 OUNCES of MMO or TC-W3 per gallon?

Just trying to clarify for others that may read this thread.

Otherwise, running a lube additive before you fill up may make running E-85 more 'do-able', yet there is still a lot of caution and skepticism regarding years of use if it truly does have the 'drying' effect. Thus, the entire market for a desire to use an UCL.

ADDED: Oh, and right on about it causing a CEL etc, if your injectors aren't bigger than stock for a non-flex vehicles without the proper compression ratio etc, to truly utilize E-85 regardless of 'drying' effects or not. Definitely would not run this long-term is pre-OBDII nor a non-flex vehicle unless steps were taken to tune and decipher areas of potential degradation first; with perhaps an UCL on top of that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back