Dunlop Winter Sport M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im moving to Philly and Im running P275/40R17 Avon M550s right now and love them. While they are all-season I intend to buy snow-specific tires for my Camaro (5spd, LSD, V6) to put on the 16" rims.

With a P225/55R16 size, the Blizzak WS50 and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 are two of my fav choices.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Sport+M3

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS-50

What would be best for Philly snow?

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and have a set of the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's (225-45-17) on my STi. They did great in the wintery-mix we normally see here in the Delaware Valley. Of course my STi is all wheel drive, so I'm sure that helps. But I'd still say the M3's would serve you well.

Snowfall in this area is either hit-or-miss. But when it does hit, its rare for snow to remain on the roads for prolonged periods. With that in mind, you'll want a snow tire with good dry/wet road manners as well. The Dunlop WS M3 fits the bill perfectly. The BS WS50 is a good snow tire, but can feel a bit more "squishy" when the roads are dry.

I am on my second set of Wintersports, one M2 one M3 and they are both wonderful, I wouldn't buyanything else. They handle great in the dry and really are great in snow and ice.

Blizzacks are incredible in snow and ice. However do not expect more than 20k out of them. They are abysmal in the dry, kind of squirrely and squishy around corners on dry days in the winter.

I have only driven the Dunlop M3 in the dry however they run circles around Blizzacks there. My ski buddy has no issues in the snow with them except that on ice they defintely not up to Blizzack standards.

I personally run Nokian WR's in the winter. They are superior in the snow and okay on ice however longevity is far greater than the two listed above. They can actually be run year round as they really an all-season that is snow tire rated.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
Blizzacks are incredible in snow and ice. However do not expect more than 20k out of them. They are abysmal in the dry, kind of squirrely and squishy around corners on dry days in the winter.

Depends on which Blizzak tire you're talking about. Some models (like the LM-22 (which I've had) and LM-25) offer very similar dry-handling to the Winter Sport M2/M3. They are more of a "high-performance" snow tire versus one designed for more heavy duty snow/ice use.

Right now, Tirerack is offering a $50 rebate on a set of four Dunlop M3's.

BTW: Consumer Reports just rated winter tires this month...unfortunately, they didn't test the Dunlop's. Here's their top-five list:

1 Michelin X-Ice
2 Viking SnowTech
3 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice
4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50
5 Mastercraft Glacier Grip II

Here's Tirerack's comparison link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C

I'm still wavering between the X-Ice and the Dunlops. The rebate might tip me in favor of the M3's...

I ordered a set! Theyre here! I'll post a review of them later when I get them on the camaro and try them in the snow - boy they look cleaty.

The $50 rebate does apply.

TireRack did revise their website. Rebate does apply indeed. Darn, if only my Dunlop DS-2s were one season older so I can ditch them for the M3
banghead.gif

quote:

Im moving to Philly and Im running P275/40R17 Avon M550s right now and love them. While they are all-season I intend to buy snow-specific tires for my Camaro (5spd, LSD, V6) to put on the 16" rims.

With a P225/55R16 size, the Blizzak WS50 and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 are two of my fav choices.

Did you change the offset of your rims when you went from 17" to 16"?

If the 17" rims are 9.5" wide and the 16" rims are 7" wide, I guess you could reduce the offset by 32mm. For example, going from a 56mm offset to a 24mm offset. This way the outside of the rims stay in the same place, and you increase your track by 64mm!
cool.gif

Smart that's good thinking, however I'm running both 17" and 16" OEM wheels.
17x9 SS Wheels (10spoke)
16x8 Snowflake pattern 2000-2002 type

My car originally came with the 16x8s, and I just upgraded. The offset is perfect for each wheel, since theyre OE
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
I ordered a set! Theyre here! I'll post a review of them later when I get them on the camaro and try them in the snow - boy they look cleaty.

The $50 rebate does apply.

I just ordered a set of the M3's yesterday from TireRack. Unfortunately, they won't have my steel-wheels in stock until early November...hope it doesn't snow in the next two weeks.

BTW: TireRack includes the lug nuts with tire & wheel packages. If you drive a Vibe, that is a HUGE savings, since Pontiac charges $16.75 per lug nut if you order through them (www.GMPartsDirect.com)! Note: Toyota sells the same lug nut for $4. This GM price gouging on parts doesn't surprise me considering a Denso oil filter is ~$4.50 at Toyota and a repackaged one through my Pontiac dealer is over $12.00. SAME PARTS!

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Are you in philly too Crack-Tan?

No, south-central PA (unfortunately). I'm putting up with one more winter here and then I'm heading back to Washington or Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back