Dual oil filter setups - anyone have experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try and mount them close to stock filter height. Too high and they'll drain forward. Your supply lines may drain back anyway ..but the higher you mount them, the easier it is to have an imperfect ADBV allowing air in.

Advantages? Hard to say. If you're into extended drains, it might give you more flexibility.

I have the Amsoil Dual Bypass on my 05 Duramax. I have run it for about 10k miles now and I have definitely noticed a little change in the clarity of my oil as far as when I look at it on the dipstick. My UOA's have come out with amazing results. I am not sure if it just the filtration, but the peace of mind for the extended drain intervals was worth the money to me. It also increased my oil capacity a little bit....about 2 quarts. I would recommend it if your doing extended OCI's, but other than that, it may not be worth the cost to you if you change every 3-5k. Hope this helps.

I was on the fly with my last post ..let me ask the questions I should have.

You asked about a "remote oil filter".

What is your goal? Easier filter changes? More filter options?

The remote mounting, in itself, offers (usually) only convenience.

Now if you're looking for "enhanced" filtration, then there are several routes you can choose ....and I've tested and used just about all of them
grin2.gif

Mostly looking for enhanced filtration.
The car is a Volvo B230ft 2.3L ohv turbo. The stock filters are pretty good, on these cars. Think they're made by Mann.
Definitely before I do this though I'd get a catch can.
Also this car is going to have an engine rebuild, most likely, and so I'd really like to trap all the stuff that comes with the break in period.

I have put a dual remote on nearly the exact engine/car. B21FTi in a 245 wagon. Well worth it to get the filter away from the turbo, large increase in oil volume (good for turbo and engine) and oh so easy to do oil changes....

Of course I know John L., he lives right up the road. He just dropped an 850 silicone top motor mount by my house on Thursday.

Small world! I used to live in Lynden, much closer to you.

The simplest setup, imo, is to go with a single bypass (BMK21) or Dual-Guard (BMK22) and use a Permacool sandwich to plumb it up. You can get a kit to relocate the full flow with the other combo setups, but this allows potential for a much higher bypass flow rate as the oil warms. Depending on how your mounting works out, 2 EaBp90's may be easier ..or one EaBp 110 may be the way to go. You still get to put a EaO right where it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back