Driplines

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My 04 Saab has zaino. Shines nice, good paint. Washed it for the first time this year yesterday.

The side that gets afternoon sun showed funny drop lines, like slightly off color tracks where the water runs. Water doesn't go anywhere else.

Paint feels totally smooth.

I tried to capture it. Any ideas?

8e47c003.jpg

f8a5a94f.jpg

2d6b05c6.jpg

I realize it just looks like water drips, but all the water flows down those lines, and it looks like they are slightly different in shading when wet (looks like nothing when dry). While this is expected with a water film, to me in this case it just looks different than wet lines on other cars. The other odd thing was that the opposite side of the car shed totally different and had a different look when wet. Light was about the same on both sides.

Am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks!

I think I know what you are talking about.

I see this a lot with cars I detail which have been thru automatic car washes which apply "wax". It's sprayed on then rinsed off. Over time it builds up on the paint. As it erodes off the paint, water follows along the erosion path.

I am not suggesting you've taken your car to the scratch & shine. I'm just saying I think I know the effect.

What you may be seeing is the erosion of the Zaino from weather exposure. It's going to happen, esp in your part of the world where acid rain is an issue.

It's easy to fix. Just a light polishing of the car followed by a reapplication of Zaino, and you're all set. It's been all winter since you've detailed the car, right? It's time for a fresh detail for spring. Polish off the old crud and reapply a fresh coat of Sal's Shiny Goodness.

Ok, thanks. Yes it was markedly worse on the side of the car that gets stronger sun, so degradation of the protective layer is surely an issue.

Put on a coat of Z-CS and then covered the car. Will do the polish and application when I have a chance.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back