Don't lose the key to a German car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need anything more than basic nutrition/vitamins/etc. You don't need to travel, see movies, eat out or do anything enjoyable for that matter to stay alive.

It's what you WANT that makes the world go round!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I just don't see the need...
21.gif

I think his point about people WANTING (not needing) fancy cars was about society in general, not about you. The fact that society in general views these cars as more desirable pushes the manufacturers to beef up their alarm/security systems. Hence, a key for that Audi is more difficult to replicate than a key for your Hyundai, even by the manufacturer himself.

Even "Wanting" versus "Needing" I don't see why anyone would want to pay more for something they could get cheaper and it does the same job.

I dunno maybe I'm just fine
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
in "THAT" department ?!?

Quote:
Mark my words... If I ever become rich due to a lottery win or retire wealthy I would be the last to own a high end vehicle. I just don't see the need for a "snob mobile" or to have "ultimate handling" etc. Why?

If I won the lottery there would probably be a brand new S5 in my driveway (the Ranger would still get the garage), and I'd drive it like I stole it. If you can afford to, why not? You may as well buy something kind of fun if you can, and drive it hard since it will break anyway.

Last edited:
why anyone would want to pay more for something they could get cheaper and it does the same job.

Because it's not about doing a job. It's about driving for the fun of it or having fun while doing a job. Some people enjoy it. Others collect stamps. We all like different things...

I guess I collect other things... Like investments... To me vehicles just don't do it for me. It's a tool like anything else and a shinier version or one that works faster doesn't really do it for me.

35.gif

StevieC:

You need to go drive an M5, then tell me a Honda is going to do the "same thing".

Is there a NEED for a car like an M5? No. But if you've driven one, or even a high-end 5 or 7 series, you can easily appreciate why people want to and LIKE to drive them.

I never said that a Honda would do the same as a M5 performance wise but it will still get you to your destination so why spend extra to do the same job? That is all I was saying...

There will always be multiple ways to skin a cat so to speak but to me the cheapest one that gets the job done effectively is best.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I never said that a Honda would do the same as a M5 performance wise but it will still get you to your destination so why spend extra to do the same job? That is all I was saying...

There will always be multiple ways to skin a cat so to speak but to me the cheapest one that gets the job done effectively is best.
wink.gif

I'm not talking just the performance. It is the entire driving "experience". That is part of the reason so many people love Mustangs, they are fun to drive, VERY fun to drive.

I couldn't own a vehicle I didn't enjoy driving. That's why I modified the Town Car. That's why I'm building the Capri. The Expedition is actually kind of fun by itself, especially in the winter.

There is driving, and then there is the "driving experience". And they are two completely different things. There is a reason I have put 30,000Km on the Expedition since we got it.

I have driven some high end vehicles including Mercedes, Porsche, BMW etc. and while fun to drive and nice cars... I couldn't justify, IMO, wasting that kind of money on a vehicle to take me places... Even in the name of fun, and even if I had money to burn.

Just me I guess

Last edited:
If I got rich, first thing I would do is head to a car dealership (BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Porche...etc). You can't bring money to the grave with you, so why not use some of it?

if i were rich i'd buy a big [censored] new toyota V8 turbo diesel landy and call it a day. there is some practical use for it here in the country. the missues could get the car of her choice, something safe, but like stevie, i just wouldn't waste oodles of money on something like a car.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
If I got rich, first thing I would do is head to a car dealership (BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Porche...etc). You can't bring money to the grave with you, so why not use some of it?

See I would pay off mortgages and bills of friends and family, and donate some to a worthwhile charity that doesn't operate like a business. Then invest some to keep me comfortable and so I can choose not to work if I don't want to.

I would continue to work and live a normal life driving a normal car but would just vacation more and enjoy life more knowing that the "security" is behind me.

I had to buy an extra master key for my LS400. The local dealership wanted over $250 plus a $50 programming fee.

I found an online dealership that was selling the same key for $150. They also provided programming instructions for the transponder. They claim to not know how to program the door locks, etc. (I found the instructions after a Google search).

I ordered the master key, a valet key and some leather conditioner for the price of the key from the local dealership.

The programming instructions were crazy....lock and unlock the door x times; open and close the door; press the brake pedal x times, press the accelerator x times; open and close the glove box door; stand on your head; ignition on then off; look for blinking lights; stand on your head......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back