Does someone own the patent to electric parking brakes?

i have done a honda, volvo , hyundai rear brakes with electric parking brakes and the design are almost identical in both function and design. i have seen vids of other makes and they are similar also.

So does someone have the patent on electric parking brakes?

i have done a honda, volvo , hyundai rear brakes with electric parking brakes and the design are almost identical in both function and design. i have seen vids of other makes and they are similar also.
Brakes can be "commodity" parts, meaning Ford or Honda or Kia doesn't design brake calipers, pads, etc, they just buy these from an OEM supplier. The brakes on my wife's Fusion visually are identical to a co-worker's BMW brakes - both are made by ATE. They don't interchange, but the design is literally identical, they just design them to fit the application.
Patents only last 20 years. When were EPB first "invented" ? If over 20 years, everyone can just copy/imitate them now if it's a good design.

This one, https://patents.google.com/patent/US9447831, looks like the ATE design. Hyundai/Kia has that patent from 2014 (or 2013 filed in Korea).

So does someone have the patent on electric parking brakes?
On my F150 you have to put the e-brake in to maintenance mode to service the rear brakes via the trucks dashboard controls. Are other vehicles the same way?

Last edited:
On my F150 you have to put the e-brake in to maintenance mode to service the rear brakes via the cars dashboard controls. Are other vehicles the same way?
On Audi & VW, you'll need either a Ross-Tech VAG-COM, OBDeleven, or a scanner (i.e., Autel) to command the EPB motors to back-drive to provide clearance for the new brake pads. The on-board MMI does not have a maintenance mode for the EPB.

Reactions: CKN
On my F150 you have to put the e-brake in to maintenance mode to service the rear brakes via the trucks dashboard controls. Are other vehicles the same way?
My mom's Fusion is like that. You do a dance with the EPB button and start button and then just push them in like a regular caliper.

Also OP, there are basically a few vendors that make the brake systems for manufacturers. It's one of those things where Ford or whoever goes to Varga, or Brembo, or Continentil, or whoever and says "here is the specs on this car, here is the budget. Make us brakes".

My mom's Fusion is like that.
What year ? On my wife's '14 Fusion, you have to do a pedal / ignition key dance. I've tweaked the car with FORScan and at least on her model year, it's not even an option that can be enabled.

the ones i have done i just do the 9 volt battery thing. So it does seem someone has the patent on the designs i have seen

What year ? On my wife's '14 Fusion, you have to do a pedal / ignition key dance. I've tweaked the car with FORScan and at least on her model year, it's not even an option that can be enabled.
Its a 14. I did the rear pads and rotors a few years ago so I forget the specific prodecure, but it didn't require a scan tool. Also I just got a "new" laptop to use for ForScan. It was a $250 refurb on Amazon because I was sick of lugging mt Alienware M18x all over the place.

Last edited:
Its a 14. I did the rear pads and rotors a few years ago so I forget the specific prodecure, but it didn't require a scan tool. Also I just got a "new" laptop to use for ForScan.
I misunderstood your comment. I thought you meant you could use the car's left-hand cluster menus to do it. 🤣 It appears that you can do it with FORScan too under the Service Procedures menu/tab or something. I doubt I'd drag out a laptop to do it though since the pedal-dance isn't tricky or need anything super accurate on timing.

On Audi & VW, you'll need either a Ross-Tech VAG-COM, OBDeleven, or a scanner (i.e., Autel) to command the EPB motors to back-drive to provide clearance for the new brake pads. The on-board MMI does not have a maintenance mode for the EPB.
Again why do manufacturers feel like they need to make repairs more difficult than necessary?

Back