Do I need to worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I had a ragged old mower I used to cut a ditch bank on the edge of my property... The crank was bent and blade out of balance, but as long as the blade was only installed one way it wasn't bad... Install blade 180* out and she'd do a big ole dance...

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
All these horror stories about cables and fruit trees and rubber landscape curbing...?
cool.gif
Let me review what you missed when your were sick and the instructor went over such things. When you see something in front of you that is big or steel or industrial webbing or a fruit tree, stop walking and you are pretty sure it is not grass, pick the G D thing up. And don't run over it!

And to answer the OPs original question, Yes You Need to Worry
laugh.gif

Now that you have been told there is no reason for this to happen again. Carry on Men!

It's great if you SEE it.

I didn't know we had members here who read Braille. My apologies to all the blind members out there
blush.gif
(yes blind is preferred by my sightless friends, look it up).

I here yah, Mikey. When I was a teenager. we had a farm and there was this area that the previous owner used as a trash dump. It was all grown up in weeds and small saplings.So, Me, my dad and 3 or 4 of my brothers went through the area for 2 days sifting through the weeds and junk. We had it all cleared out.

My dad had to go to work 3 to 11 shift. He said take the tractor and the brush hog and mow this down the best you can. So, I'm like yeah Baby!

I crank up our big ole Minneapolis Moline, hook up the brush hog, reved that engine like a dragster, got about 40 feet into the vines and weeds and the brush hog starts sending busted metal flying every which way. I stop the machine and under the brush hog was and old bed spring more sturdy than any bed spring I had seen. Not only did my dad not see it but my 3 blind brothers missed it too! That part of the field was not my department. I'm more of the managerial type anyway.

Any way in those days we didn't know what a rotary metal cutter was. the next day my dad hands me a hack saw and says don't come inside until it's all cut off the blades and the shaft. I did not get dinner that night.
The bush hog was not damaged a bit. So, yeah hidden things are a PIA.!

I had a client come in one day and he told me he finally was able to get his riding mower out and mow his front lawn with it. He used a long rope and tied it to a tree, then got on the mower and slowly made looping passes around the tree until he didn't have much rope left. He finished the circle with a push mower, then followed the chain link fence around the perimeter with the push mower, even kneeling down to feel the height of the grass to make sure he covered all the left-over areas.

He's totally blind, as opposed to partial or legally blind. His job when he came to me for assistive technology training was teaching at the police academy, specifically all their tactical courses (driving, shooting, etc). He lost his sight in the course of a year, therefore his pre-teen daughter was doing the grass cutting until he got up enough courage (or stupidity or mixture of both) to do it on his own.

After a year long training program with me, he went on to become an investigator at the local prison. He listens to conversations with inmates for federal and state investigations, has served as a witness in several grand jury trials, and he uses all kind of specialized technology equipment to do his job. He's done it so well they hired him an assistant and created a new department.

I'm not sure if he's the better yard man than me, but I know he hasn't run over a cable and I have, so that says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back