dixon ztr/troy bilt pressure washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
changed the oil in the lawnmower and pressure washer the other day. royal purple 10W30 in the pressure washer, 3 or 4 hp briggs, 2550 psi pump. had amsoil 5W30 in it last time but i cant get it locally any more. the dixon ztr, has a 16.5 briggs, i put some Kendall semi synthetic titanium 10W30 with a briggs filter. should i be putting a different grade of oil in either equipment? the dealer i bought the dixon from swears by SAE 30 in everything.

I'd assume in your relatively warm climate sae 30 could be used in anything. But that's not the only thing that would work. Assuming a 50 hour OCI the 10-30 would work great in the briggs, probably even for longer. They are certainly not picky. A pressure washer probably sees few hours over a season so if you're doing annual changes you're probably overkill on the oil for that anyway.

My opinion of Briggs engines in general is that they don't have any real need for a particular oil or weight, they just have poor control of oil temps (like any air cooled engine) and are likely to be neglected, both of which favor a SAE 30. That hasn't always been the recommendation, my 70's repair manual lists all sorts of weights (even 20 weights) and the current recommendation is 5-30 synthetic or sae 30 conventional.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
..the dealer i bought the dixon from swears by SAE 30 in everything.

That's fine.

IMO, engine oils intended for air cooled, or heavy-duty/diesel applications are better.

Briggs makes a 10w30 intended for this purpose, as does Kohler.

I personally substitute 15w40 for any OPE that recommends SAE30 or 10w30.

Joel

Originally Posted By: bepperb
my 70's repair manual lists all sorts of weights (even 20 weights)

All repair manuals that i have seen such as your describing have a temperature range to coinside with the weight of oil being recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back