Delvac 1300 17k mile; 2016 Ram3500 w/6.7 Cummins 143k miles

oil anlysis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report for that mileage. 4 quarts could change how the wear metals look though. If you took a sample at 5,666 miles in the first oil interval it may give a different picture but I agree that 5,666 miles on avg per quart disregarding the oil filter as the 4th is not bad. What filter did you run & changed to... Fleetguard?

12 qt sump, 1 qt filter change, so really only 3 qts overall added over 17,000 miles isn't that bad.

1 oz per 354 miles, or in better terms 1 qt every 5,666 miles.

Good report for that mileage. 4 quarts could change how the wear metals look though. If you took a sample at 5,666 miles in the first oil interval it may give a different picture but I agree that 5,666 miles on avg per quart disregarding the oil filter as the 4th is not bad. What filter did you run & changed to... Fleetguard?

I started out with a Hastings and then switched it over to a $1.30 Wholesaler closeout Champion label filter. This is a Champion I posted previously..
IMG_0288.JPG
both from Rock Auto.

Hard work explains the oil consumption.

honestly don't think a quart every 4000 miles qualifies as much to think about.. its about what it uses whether I drive it unloaded or with a load. Personally think people who don't have much experience with diesel engines are the people who think using a quart of oil in a couple thousand miles is an indicator that something is wrong.. whereas I just think it is normal.

yes, the 6.7's in the Ram pickups take 12 quarts.. if the 6.7's in other service usually have a 15qurt or 19 quart oil capacity..

this is a chart from Cummins what they consider the lines for excessive oil use..
Oil Cumsumption.jpg

Is there an existing filter that could take that kind of mileage? Makes me think the original OCI could have been ok without the filter change. I realize my question could be self answered but not sure if i can stare at 50 UOAs from a website forum format. I want unfettered access to blackstones database :)

Is there an existing filter that could take that kind of mileage? Makes me think the original OCI could have been ok without the filter change. I realize my question could be self answered but not sure if i can stare at 50 UOAs from a website forum format. I want unfettered access to blackstones database :)

you cant get unlimited but you can get this, which I copied from a Blackstone report article , gist of article being brand doesn't make much difference..

multiple samples taken from 6
IMG_0126.JPG
.7 Cummins

Personally I wouldn’t hesitate to run a Fleetguard LF16035 for that duration.

Maybe @NashNative will weigh in.

Just my $0.02

Back