Delvac 1 CH-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on changing my oil after work today and I noticed that the Delvac 1 I have is CH-4. I'm going to have the oil analyzed with about 7,000 miles on it. Is there going to be a major impact on the wear by using the CH-4 that I have left? It will take me from 12,000 miles to 40,000 miles with my planed changes.

I started using Delvac at 5,000 miles. I changed the factory fill at 2,500 with a conventional oil, then changed to Delvac at 5,000 miles. I guess I am concerned about how improved the CI-4 formulation is. Not that I could justify not using 3 gallons of Delvac 1, but I'm just curious.

Jason

Mobil tech Oz told me D1 CH-4 version exceeded CI-4 spec way back. Don't think you have much to worry about. I have it in my Mazda turbo mixed with M1 TS 0W40 (leftovers). Much quieter engine now than it was with the 10W30 I tried before.

As previously mentioned Delvac 1 supassed the CI-4 specification long ago. Additionally, the reformulated Delvac 1 was being bottled months before the CI-4 designation could be put on the bottles so you very likely have the newest formulation.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Thanks guys. I did some more searching and its very likely that I have the CI-4 formulation as I purchased my current supply in September 2002.

Jason

I recently (in January) purchased 3 cases of Delvac-1 and every bottle was CH-4 rated. I was tempted to return it for the more recently labeled CI-4 product but I've had such good results with the previous CH-4 that I don't anticipate any problems at all.

This is a pretty impressive product although a bit expensive.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
I recently (in January) purchased 3 cases of Delvac-1 and every bottle was CH-4 rated. I was tempted to return it for the more recently labeled CI-4 product but I've had such good results with the previous CH-4 that I don't anticipate any problems at all.

This is a pretty impressive product although a bit expensive.

From what I have read, even though the container says CH-4, there is a good chance that it is actually the CI-4 formula. Mobil started producing and packaging the CI-4 formulation many months before the CI-4 formulation officially came to be.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back