Dangers of Bore Sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I'm old school. This can happen to the most experience rare but it only takes once.. twice? Get another hobby.

Set up white paper or in the field a focal point about 100 yards. Pull the bolt, look through the (rear of the) barrel, adjust scope.

Never failed me and on paper 100%.

Forest,
I've seen guys at the range clamp the rifle in a vice, shot a round (or a group), then adjust the scope to the point of impact.

Not as much fun 'though.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The matte finish of the fracture surfaces suggests to me the barrel split open. A cut surface would be shiny. I doubt the fracture was doctored.

Wrong. That barrel was cut with WIRE EDM. it uses a .010 inch brass wire and electricity to cut most conductive metals and it gives a bead blast finish.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So you are saying that you cut the barrel or witnessed it being cut ?

NO, but I know a fake when I see it. And I am very familiar with the wire EDM process and how it looks.

Are you saying that you witnessed the barrel blowing up and folding back?

The front 4 inches of the barrel was split by the over preasure from the bore sight, then the barrel was cut the rest of the way and bent back for effect. You can see a difference from the front 4 inches to the rest of the split. Notice how even the pieces are for the entire length and how conveniently the split stops just before damaging the stock.

Nope, I wasn't.

The front of the barrel looked legit to me...didn't pay much attention to the rest.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Forest,
I've seen guys at the range clamp the rifle in a vice, shot a round (or a group), then adjust the scope to the point of impact.

Not as much fun 'though.

1. Center scope reticle

2. bore sight/shoot 25 yd target - adjust windage

3. Zero at zero range with cold barrel shots - hold rifle as will be held for kill. The vise won't be in the field.

There is nothing wrong with moving the reticle to point of impact if the hold is good. The spotter can make the adjustment.

The photos look staged. No photo evidence of blowback so why is the face beaten up. The escaping pressure obviously ported out the split barrel. If he had the bolt stuck in his head, it would be far more impressive.

If a Savage, it is a button rifled barrel, not hammered or cut-rifled. Steel likely would not be that homogenous, giving such perfect "flutes".

Sensational, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back