Curious, Did Purolater Ever Fix The Tearing Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Throt
I just cut open 3 that didn't have any tearing issues but ADBV had failed.

But I've moved to FU. The wire back media removes all concerns. And the FU is cheaper than the Purolator synthetic filter...I think...
The FU is generally cheaper, at least in these parts, the Puro Synthetic is usually $9.99 for a standard spin-on. As I "saw" above-what on earth does a diamond blade saw have to do with cutting filters? There's enough room between the can & media that any standard tubing-style cutter isn't going to hit anything.

Remember according to that world champion.. Do you really have a shop ??
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Throt
I just cut open 3 that didn't have any tearing issues but ADBV had failed.

No kidding...he ADBV pooped out? What did it look like - just torn?

Ed

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I've only used Classics and Pure Ones for the last 30 years...no make it 40...and have cut open every single one ( even three that I didn't use because they were the wrong size ) without a single media tear and just the oily goodness that can't be mailed to Purolator. My use of a diamond blade saw gives it legitimacy to the OEM but they continue to advise me that it doesn't replicate the special skill set used in their testing so my positive product reviews can't be entered into evidence in court or even for promotional purposes.

I made the decision to start my own Excel spreadsheet that currently has 14674 ( yeeaah...that's it ) oil enthusiasts with the requisite diamond blade saws and it appears that the "failure" rate is quite low at < 1% which is the expected industry standard. I also have spreadsheets with other filters made by Champion, Hastings, etc. that have similar numbers even though I've never used them...just sawed them. I've been advised by some here that this might be too inflammatory because it's felt that Excel spreadsheets are what makes it legitimate and not an industrial test with a lot sample of 20,000 units for each filter versus similar filters. I bow to the alter of "me too" anecdotalism versus sample size and scientific method in relation to competing products. I stopped using Wix filters because the end cap came off of one so problem solved...no more Wix...and no more truth. As we'll likely never know the truth, I'll defer to these posters and just accept that this thread will be reincarnated more times than an Indian mystic with the same end result. Oh yeah, Purolator did fix the Classics awhile back.
smile.gif

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I enjoyed reading them and your unique take on the topic. A refreshing change imo. The Indian mystic analogy is one hadn't read before and based on an archived reading, one with which I'd agree.

I just pulled this out of a Camry with about 11k miles on it. It looks like it's wearing a girdle. No tears though.

nquvb6.jpg

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
there never was an issue in the first place. search this forum for the multiple threads in said topic.

This is patently false. When a Purolator / Bosch user performs a filter post mortem within regular service limits and finds torn media this is a complete failure and is considered an issue.

when an unqualified amateur cuts open an oil filter they are left with a hot mess to clean up and no legal recourse.

I agree. Way too much speculation and very little engineering in this forum.

Just stick with OEM filters and don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: knerml
I agree. Way too much speculation and very little engineering in this forum.

Just stick with OEM filters and don't worry about it.

Except spotting a tear (and the Titanic holes in Purolator filters) do not need any engineering expertise to spot... but then again, some CE training did not hurt. Pipe cutter + 5 minutes demonstrates purolator's failure to manufacture a quality product.

They won't be fixing something they don't acknowledge. If they fix the known issue, which does exist, in secret, customers will never know for sure. Not many people are cutting oil filters open. I have my solution.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I just pulled this out of a Camry with about 11k miles on it. It looks like it's wearing a girdle. No tears though.

nquvb6.jpg

What brand is that? Looks terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back