Cub cadet snow blower question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they any good? I am contemplating buying one since we get hit with heavy snow over here each year and as the years go by and I get older it's more and more of a PITA to shovel the 1-2 ft of snow at a time, not to mention that I have to deal with the compacted mess left behind by the snow plow.

I've seen they have a 3 stage new model that retails for about $1350 in the US and a medium 2 stage one in my neck of the woods retails for about 2-2.2k.

What's your input on this? The seller also has a couple of Big Texas(Danish manufacturer) and Hondas. The surface I need to clear is about 20.000 Sq ft every heavy snow.

Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited:
In the US, Cub Cadet power equipment is made by MTD, a brand with a generally poor reputation. I have a 30" Troy-Bilt (also MTD and a clone of the 30" CC) snowblower that's decent, but I did get it for less than $900.

For the prices you mentioned, I'd get a Husqvarna if it's available to you.

I've had a 26" Yard Machine (MTD) with a 8.0HP Tecumseh for 10 years and it's served me well. I've only cleaned the carb a couple of times, change the oil every season and lubed the rotating assemblies and linkages.

My neighbor has the Ariens 30" Deluxe that seems to do a good job and I think it was around $800.

My wife has a 28" John Deere that does a good job as well but I think it was around $1100. I use a 48" single-stage on my Ingersoll tractor for our driveway.

If I were in the market for a new walk-behind, I'd go with the Ariens.

Here are the MTD families. Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt ,Remington, MTD, MTD Gold, MTD Pro, Yard-Man, Yard Machines and Bolens.

I have a 2011 2 stage 30" MTD. Overall it is pretty well made with a slight exception, the auger and shear pins. I have a thread on here about what happens when the shear pins don't shear.

Compared to other snowthrowers I've had over the years it is easy to work on. The B&S motor is much better than the Tecumseh I've had in the past, and older B&S motors too.

For heavy duty use I would pass the homeowner line and pay the big bucks for some pro equipment.

Husqvarna is available here and prices seem to be better (15-20% lower) than Cub Cadet. Any particular model I should look for?

Also we have a bunch of Hondas; any experience with those?

Husqvarnas are definitely superior to any MTD product.

What models are available? The 1830HV or 1830EXL are the models I was looking at here.

Edit: the ST276EP looks like the equivalent euro model.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Do you mean that you have 20 square meters to clear? 20 square feet wouldn't hardly be enough to even get that big of shovel.

No..I mean what I wrote, that I have to clear out 20 THOUSAND SQ FEET or 1850^2 meters
smile.gif

Ah that is suposed to be a comma not a decimal point. Now that makes sense.

Get a tractor would be my suguestion then. Or the biggest snow blower you are willing to pay for.

Last edited:
^+1....I didn't pay any attention to the area you were clearing...I clear around 16,000 sq feet (850' x 15' driveway and a 50' x 60' parking pad) so I use a tractor (45 minutes) or a walk-behind (90+ minutes)

I'll rather have a walk-behind one as I have to clear out 2 different locations that are about 20 miles apart and find it much more easy to load it in the van, not to mention the price factor.

And this my fellow Bitoggers is how I spent my day:

2myvqbs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back