CT5 Cadillac 2.0 review

2023 CT5 237HP 2.0L, model 355T Not a lot good to say about the engine and it’s state of tune. The rental had 4000 miles on it, 21MPG with me at the helm (remember, I am a driving enthusiast).

Overall, it has the classic, excellent RWD driving dynamics, great steering feel and is reasonably comfortable once set up and roomy enough inside. But good god the supremely laggy two spool engine is both noisy and harsh Under load, and is tuned to “not go” unless maximum boost is selected by full right pedal action. Sport mode makes it even louder. Infuriating!!!!!

Something odd with the brakes, Touchy at first, then normal after. Leaving me confused as to what to expect.

In typical GM fashion, this car falls very short, despite having just about everything it needs to be “just right”. Could have been great.

if you’ve driven the more responsive Malibu, you will understand a CT5 4 cylinder. Different cars for sure, same design philosophy, size and performance.

Nice to see an engine in the fore-aft layout.

EF1x7vN.jpg

This thing needs, at the very least, a quality aftermarket engine tune (if even available) and a real Tightening of the transmission shifting, as it took at times, a full 2 seconds to shift with the paddles. Who does that today?

IMHO Cadillac has really gone downhill. What once was an excellent luxury vehicle has morphed into a made over Chevy.

They have spent too much time trying to make it sporty and have lost sight of the refinement to be expected in Caddy.

And it sounds like the 2.0 in my Hyundai Tucson may be a more refined power plant.

This thing needs, at the very least, a quality aftermarket engine tune (if even available) and a real Tightening of the transmission shifting, as it took at times, a full 2 seconds to shift with the paddles. Who does that today?
Have that same problem with the wife's 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6, paddle shifters are useless. :(

2023 CT5 237HP 2.0L, model 355T Not a lot good to say about the engine and it’s state of tune. The rental had 4000 miles on it, 21MPG with me at the helm (remember, I am a driving enthusiast).

Overall, it has the classic, excellent RWD driving dynamics, great steering feel and is reasonably comfortable once set up and roomy enough inside. But good god the supremely laggy two spool engine is both noisy and harsh Under load, and is tuned to “not go” unless maximum boost is selected by full right pedal action. Sport mode makes it even louder. Infuriating!!!!!

Something odd with the brakes, Touchy at first, then normal after. Leaving me confused as to what to expect.

In typical GM fashion, this car falls very short, despite having just about everything it needs to be “just right”. Could have been great.

if you’ve driven the more responsive Malibu, you will understand a CT5 4 cylinder. Different cars for sure, same design philosophy, size and performance.

Nice to see an engine in the fore-aft layout.

EF1x7vN.jpg
The brakes being grabby at first then tapering off is probably a brake pad compound. I'm assuming that Cadillac thought that with "spirited " driving a higher performance compound was in order. The brake pads on my Mazda are the same way.

Does the interior feel cheap? Plasticy? (I made a new word!). For many years I've felt many Cady's don't have that lux feel I wish they did. Besides the Escalade. A shame as I wanted one when I was a kid but now don't even look at them.

Does the interior feel cheap? Plasticy? (I made a new word!). For many years I've felt many Cady's don't have that lux feel I wish they did. Besides the Escalade. A shame as I wanted one when I was a kid but now don't even look at them.
The interior was really fine. Not cheap, not lux. I did notice that the center AC vents were lifted right from the GM parts bin and simply set horizontally. Seats were comfy and the general layout was conventional. The 2024 version has a huge Change inside. With a big curved screen.

sadly, I fairly sure I’m right. All it needs is attention to the tuning to drive correctly. Of course, the harsh engine noise needs to be tamed.

"2023 CT5 237HP 2.0L, model 355T Not a lot good to say about the engine and it’s state of tune."

That is disappointing, we have a 2019 Q5 with a turbo 2.0 which is silky smooth and great power. Why cant GM do them the same especially in a Cadillac which is their High end vehicle.

"2023 CT5 237HP 2.0L, model 355T Not a lot good to say about the engine and it’s state of tune."

That is disappointing, we have a 2019 Q5 with a turbo 2.0 which is silky smooth and great power. Why cant GM do them the same especially in a Cadillac which is their High end vehicle.

Probably how they keep the base models “cheap”. Base 2023 CT5 is only $38,195. Significantly cheaper than a smaller base A4, 3-Series or C-Class

Optional Twin Turbo V6 or Supercharged V8 on the CT5 for a better experience.

Probably how they keep the base models “cheap”. Base 2023 CT5 is only $38,195. Significantly cheaper than a smaller base A4, 3-Series or C-Class

Optional Twin Turbo V6 or Supercharged V8 on the CT5 for a better experience.g 4 cylinders a long time

My daughter has a jetta se with 1.4t which is a "base car." and that engine isnt laggy or noisy. VW has been building 4cylinders turbo's for ages. GM should have just reverse engineered it. $40 isnt exactly cheap and GM put out an inferior product here.

Last edited:

Optional Twin Turbo V6 or Supercharged V8 on the CT5 for a better experience.

I really liked the driving dynamics, other than the engine/drivetrain tune. I can't see any reason for the lack of effort put into this. I'm convinced the engine is a good product. It's one of the few RWD cars available.

Yeah, it probably could be a better engine. Be nice to see the new GM 2.7 turbo 4 as the base engine.

Thankfully one can upgrade to the 3.0 TTV6 and it’s still $10,000 cheaper than a base 5-Series or E-Class

Back