Craftsman sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two sets of new Craftsman sockets on EBAY. SAE & Metric, 6 pt, 1/2" drive.

Both came in a heat sealed blue & clear bag with all 13 sockets in each bag. It even had a printed label that did not look like it was placed on the bag from the EBAY seller.

Somehow I do not think Sears sells bags of sockets.

I have no reason to doubt they are not Craftsman, just the heat sealed bag looks odd.

Originally Posted By: punisher
I remember years ago Craftsman sockets came in bags if they were part of a larger 150-300 piece set.

This.

Also, Sears might sell them that way to mechanics/shops.

Sears has all kinds of weird packaging. I like the idea that it's part of a 300 pc kit. I assume you got USA made?

When you buy a big tool set the smaller individual socket sets are bagged just like the OP purchased.

Lots of sellers wait for big sales at Sears and buy the large sets, then sell off the smaller, individual socket sets to make money.

So, the OP probably bought sockets that were originally in a large set and the seller broke up a large set and sold the smaller socket sets for a profit.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Can I assume that there is only one quality of Craftsman 6 pt socket (non impact)?

Yes. Craftsman sockets are Craftsman sockets. The lower-level tools Sears sells always have a different name. Lately thay've been branded Evolve. The lower-level tools often don't have the same lifetime warranty as Craftsman tools.

But, depending on the age of the set, you could get Chinese or USA made examples of Craftsman sockets.

For a long time the large tool sets stayed USA made when the open stock tools went Chinese. But I just noticed my first Chinese tool sets a couple weeks ago in a store.

I know you already received your sockets. I'm simply pointing out for anyone else reading that if you order Craftsman tools on ebay, make sure you know whether you'll be getting USA or Chinese tools, if that matters to you.

Older sockets didn't have flank drive or surface drive technology. I believe everything in the last 5-10 years has the new technology (could be wrong)and is less likely to round off fasteners.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
When you buy a big tool set the smaller individual socket sets are bagged just like the OP purchased.

I've bought a couple of their larger box sets and the socket did come in bags, but they were not sorted like that. All the bags contained a completely random mix of metric, SAE, and drive sizes. The only thing that came bagged together was the bits and bit driver.

What about the possibility that the EBay seller warrantied a rusty set??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back