Comcast installed new cable for no reason???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I came home from work today to see a new coax laying on top of the snow for no apparent reason. We haven't had any problems or called Comcast to ask for it.

My wife called Comcast and they told her they had service techs in the area doing an 'equipment inventory' and they noticed we had 'old' coax and installed new, super hi-def coax. Our house is 18 years old and Comcast didn't mention the cable being old 2 years ago when they did our install? I drove around the block (and surrounding blocks) we are the ONLY ones with new coax. Seems a little fishy.

The funny part is they told her a contractor would come by within 48 hours to trench it in. I want to be here to see them trench through a 9 inches of snow and then 12+ inches of frost. Should be entertaining!

Any idea why I have new, super hi-def coax for no apparent reason?

Obviously, we live in two different markets. However, at least here, telecoms and cable companies do all kinds of infrastructure upgrades (big and small) that meet no rhyme or reason to those of us not in the industry, and it's been that way as long as I can remember.

They have their reasons.....
eek.gif

Probably common knowledge but I just found out that Comcast is now using your home wireless modem/routers as public Wi-Fi hotspots. It's no big deal but at least they should ask if you want your wireless to be pimped out.

"Paul, we'll send you a free upgraded modem/router that will allow us...I mean you to take advantage of more features and faster download speeds."

All I've noticed is that my connection now locks up more frequently now.

Cox Communications is our local cable company and they do infrastructure upgrades all the time.

As far as the public wi-fi deal, I have my own wireless router separate from the modem that Cox provided. I keep the wi-fi secured tighter than a dolphin's rear so no-one gets on without me knowing.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
My wife called Comcast and they told her they had service techs in the area doing an 'equipment inventory' and they noticed we had 'old' coax and installed new, super hi-def coax.

What is "super hi-def" coax? Is it possible that you had old RG-59? Maybe it's what brandini suggested and they ran RG6 or quad-shield? I don't know much about fiber, but fiber to your house wouldn't be in the form of black coax would it?

Probably just put down RG6 quad-shielded or a heavier-duty wire. That stuff is necessary with the faster Internet speeds and additional channels they keep offering.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
They have their reasons.....
eek.gif

Probably common knowledge but I just found out that Comcast is now using your home wireless modem/routers as public Wi-Fi hotspots. It's no big deal but at least they should ask if you want your wireless to be pimped out.

"Paul, we'll send you a free upgraded modem/router that will allow us...I mean you to take advantage of more features and faster download speeds."

All I've noticed is that my connection now locks up more frequently now.

yeah, folks! if you see "xfinitywifi" anywhere, you can login into anyone's home comcast modem/wifi all in one router and use your account to get wifi. if everyone had this cool router, talk about hooked up to wifi 24/7.

Probably quad shield. I've read on dslreports.com that they worry quite a bit about radiating too much RF and getting in trouble with it from the FCC. I don't see many Google results of fines lately though.

Or, maybe they are expecting a quality survey, and are cleaning up to make the grade.

You are complaining that comcast gave you a brand spanking new drop no questions asked? You should consider yourself lucky, lots of people are stuck on old, poor quality coax for drops still. As far as getting buried, if they are like Time Warner they will wait till after the snow melts and the ground thaws a bit to do it. That's what they do with new installs in the winter anyway. Run a temp across the grass and bury it in the spring.

But yes, other people have the right idea. It's more than likely they are doing it to ensure that the plant on the outside of your house is capable of everything they offer. Quality of coax does severely impact network performance and signal reliability.

It's a "Big Brother" box. LOL
grin.gif
I plan on divorcing Comcast very soon - had enough of their continually sucking more cash from me for no good reason except to try and make up for lost revenue from lot of customers "cutting the cable".

The TV Networks and pro sports teams are sucking the cash from cable and satellite TV providers first -- then the providers afterwards are sucking the cash from you.

If the cable/satellite providers would give me the 40 channels I want and nothing else - at a basic subscription price, I would renew with them. I don't want movie channels. But I do want to see the pro sports teams and the popular TV shows currently on cable today.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's a "Big Brother" box. LOL
grin.gif
I plan on divorcing Comcast very soon - had enough of their continually sucking more cash from me for no good reason except to try and make up for lost revenue from lot of customers "cutting the cable".

I'm a cable cutter, don't hate me bro
lol.gif
I enjoy everything online, stream netflix/roku everything, and have ota antenna. this comcast all in one router/wifi box is the best thing when I'm out and in public. I have identified three xfinitywifi networks in my neighborhood already! I hope comcast upgrades everyone's modem to this router.
banana2.gif

if you use your own router, call CC CS and ask for your cable modem to be put into 'bridge mode', and then ask them to set broadcast to 'off' (IIRC)

that'll kill the free hotspot and wifi except for your router, and prolly reduce radiation levels in your home too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back