Chevron Supreme 10W-30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOA for Chevron Supreme 10w-30 manufactured on 11/10/09
Purchased at PriceSmart in the Caribbean.

------>ppm
Cr----->0
Pb----->0
Cu----->0
Fe----->1
Sn----->3
Al----->0
Ni----->0
K------>6
Ag----->0
Si------>3
B------>57
Na----->2
Mg----->8
Ca----->1854
P------->503
Zn----->963
Mo----->244
Ba------>0
Ti------>0
V------->0

cSt Viscosity 100°C -------------->9.28
TBN (ASTM D2896) mgKOH/g-->10.65

Thanks for watching.
Thor.

If that TBN is right, that Chevron is some stout stuff.

Chevron is blended thin within it's grade, but the test here has it right on the cusp between a 20-weight and 30-weight....I'd expect it to be closer to 10 cst.

Please note that I stated the standard method used by the lab to calculate this tbn. There are multiple methods used so when comparing to the other VOAs you need to ensure that they used the same method which is:

ASTM D2896

Thor.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
This is a motor oil, right? I think it might have been posted in the wrong section.

Woops! You are right. I saw Virgin Oil Analysis in the title and just posted. But now I see there is another Virgin Oil Analysis section for engine oils. How do I move this?

Who is the Administrator for this Forum?

Sorry.
Thor.

Last edited:
I have seen a few UOA's of this engine oil from S2000 engines and chocked up the end low viscosity readings to shearing. Probably not so now, just a product mis-labeling issue. This engine oil protects very well from what I have seen.

Not sure about the engine rebuild application...I guess it would depend on the engines you rebuild.

I just got an email from Blackstone Labs stating that they use ASTM D4739 to test TBN but as I stated my lab used ASTM D2896 so the TBN value in this VOA is not comparable to the ones in Blackstone's reports.

FYI
Thor

That oil is testing a hair under it's viscosity grade, isn't it? A mighty thin 10W30. 30 grade starts at 9.30cSt, no?

AFAIK, yes, so this oil is just under the 30-grade, but by so little an amount, it would fall within measurement error, I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back