Checking Air Filters

I used to follow this advice, until I discovered a mouse nest in the airbox of one of my vehicles. On another vehicle, I discovered a leaky seal that was allowing dust past the filter. A restriction gauge would have helped detect the mouse nest, but there's no real way to check for a sealing issue without inspecting the clean side of the airbox.

Was the mouse next on the clean side of the airbox? If yes, how did it get there? If the nest was on the dirty side, again, this could be discovered and cleaned, without removing the filter and disturbing the seal.

Was the mouse next on the clean side of the airbox? If yes, how did it get there? If the nest was on the dirty side, again, this could be discovered and cleaned, without removing the filter and disturbing the seal.
It was on the dirty side. Luckily the air filters for my motorcycle are designed with a metal screen on the clean side of the filter to prevent mice from chewing though it and getting sucked into the engine and decapitated by the intake valves.

I had schrews install a prefilter on my 90 Wrangler. It did not enhance performance.
IMG_20230628_153058.jpg

Back