Charter to enforce bandwidth caps in Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Good info, Rand, but I was hoping not to have to buy any new equipment. My current router is a cheap Netgear.

I am looking for some program (preferably free) that can sniff packets and monitor all WAN traffic and tell me the aggregate BW. I have two computers on wired, and a laptop on wifi, a couple of Tivos, and a blu-ray player (running Netflix and Vudu). As much as I don't want to have to lay out any cash, I think I'm going to have to look into the new router route.

This bandwidth monitoring stuff has got to be fun for people with teenagers in the house!

what model is your router it may run dd-wrt?

I am using a 23$ asus right now.. after 2 linksys fails in a year I wasnt so quick to get another one.

bleh 43$ - 20 rebate + free shipping =23$ eventually

http://www.fatwallet.com/best-deals/asus-dd-wrt-compatible-wifi-router/

note this router can also be a print server or a NAS but those functions are buggy with dd-wrt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Rand: Many of the ASUS units will also run DD-WRT.

Checkout the DD-WRT website for their HCL.

I am running dd-wrt.

I edited my reply for clarity >> what is oilnerd's model of netgear.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what model is your router it may run dd-wrt?

I am using a 23$ asus right now.. after 2 linksys fails in a year I wasnt so quick to get another one.

bleh 43$ - 20 rebate + free shipping =23$ eventually

http://www.fatwallet.com/best-deals/asus-dd-wrt-compatible-wifi-router/

note this router can also be a print server or a NAS but those functions are buggy with dd-wrt.

Thanks, Rand. My router is a Netgear WGR614v6 (not supported). So far, a router running dd-wrt is looking like the best option. The software programs I googled look like they only analyze the computer they're running on.

Last edited:
ya that one has a joke 1MB flash ram chip.

honestly I love my asus wl-520gu it runs stabily for weeks-months at a time.. or longer.

Its always nice to have a backup router.. I'd suggest upgrading to something dd-wrt compatible
smile.gif
and keeping the netgear for a backup.

Last edited:
note i said weeks or months.. because I reboot my cable modem often(sigh) and I usually do the router at that time also.

Last edited:
This is in response to netflix streaming and other ways to circumvent people buying premium content from the cable company.

Many people are buying a 40 dollar cable internet connection, and nothing else.

The cable company would rather sell you a $150 package with HBO and all the other channels that you won't ever watch.

We have netflix here, and I watch it frequently. I personally could be free of cable but my girlfriend refuses so far..

If they want to sell connectivity by the GB that's fine, but they should make bandwidth uncapped. This way, they're saying you can only go so fast AND you can only do so much. That's [censored]. Either you can go as fast as you want but only do so much, or you can only go so fast, but you can do as much as you want. In the latter case your speed is what cost negotiates, in the former, the amount of data.

The fact is, they don't want to upgrade their infrastructure. Instead of upgrading it, they've found a way to use the same old system and make it more profitable by making you pay more for less. Somebody got a raise for this brilliant idea. I'd use dial up before I'd support this kind of business practice.

I use my Cableone internet for just that purpose, to browse the web and post here and other places.
I don't do the movie thing on my computer as we have satellite television and that fills the television viewing purpose.

I don't download music or watch any streaming video.

Cableone, in MY opinion, has great tech support based in the US and have always helped me out, the few time I have had to call them.

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
I use my Cableone internet for just that purpose, to browse the web and post here and other places.
I don't do the movie thing on my computer as we have satellite television and that fills the television viewing purpose.

Cableone, in MY opinion, has great tech support based in the US and have always helped me out, the few time I have had to call them.

I have basic cable and don't have any of the premium cable channels (HBO, cinemax, showtime, etc). when new episodes of dexter from showtime come out every Sunday night, I'm online watching it. The broadband internet saves me $$$. When I used to have broadband voice connection, I saved money there too.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
My wife is on facecrap constantly playing farmville.

Who knows, your wife and mine could be best friends on that site and don't even know it. Mine is always planting, watering, harvesting for someone else so she can earn more points and buy more stuff. Heck I think she now has 3 or 4 different farms, plus she has some kind of kitchen/cafe thing going also.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004

I have basic cable and don't have any of the premium cable channels (HBO, cinemax, showtime, etc). when new episodes of dexter from showtime come out every Sunday night, I'm online watching it. The broadband internet saves me $$$. When I used to have broadband voice connection, I saved money there too.

Only problem with watching HBO, Cinemax etc.....on my broadband connection would be that Cableone would eventually cut back my service, if not cut it completely off.
I know a guy that this has happened to! Seems he was streaming movies and they slowed his connection due to bandwidth use and eventually shut him down.
They stated that since they offer what he was watching in one of their movie packages, they have the right to stop his service. They monitor your use of their service so......

I don't subscribe to any movie packages with DirecTV because they are good about giving us free service for our "loyalty".

That's why it's a mistake to allow the internet bandwidth be an integral part of an entertainment company's balance sheets.

Can't wait for the day when broadband becomes a human right
smile.gif

250GB/mo really isn't a lot when multiple PC's are at play. I ran an installer from www.ninite.com that upudated a bunch of apps on one PC this morning, 250MB downloaded just for that alone. That doesn't include any Microsoft updates (or Mac or Linux updates, as the case may be).

Since the infrastructure is already paid for, the cable companies are riding purely on profit in many segments.

ToyotaNSaturn, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for the "Plus" package?

I'm on the 100GB/mo. limit and I'm afraid I'm going to bust that easily with all the Netflix usage in the house.

I ordered a new router that will support dd-wrt for bandwidth counting, but I'd rather not have to play bandwidth cop at the end of each month.

just switched from Bellsouth, now AT&T 3.0Mbit DSL internet & local phone service. 1st year, $60/month. 2nd year $70 month. I asked the rep for any deals, she set me up with that. After that, $84.99/month. That's about what I was paying for the AT&T service.

That includes all local calling in-state and 16Mbps internet. Had to go out & grab a cable modem, Motorola, they have a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant model that has been excellent so far. No cable modem rentals for me...

Long distance phone is taken care of with cell phone and Skype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back