Castrol TWS 10w60 1200 mi break-in BMW M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
m6pwr - Over several decades I have had the pleasure of working with some German Manufacturers on product development – electronic fuel injection, diesel engines, mechanical and air suspensions and transmissions

I’ve also worked similarly with Japanese, English and American Manufacturers

In my case I found that the Germans do their initial development up to marketplace introduction very well. Later I found their product development based on marketplace performance was cautious, slow, measured and continuous!

In one case we isolated about 20 issues with a heavy high speed diesel engine (initially 400hp - finally 500hp). I experimented at the same time feeding all data to Germany. Some of the issues isolated were lubricant viscosity/specification, sump size, fan type and operating speed, turbo position etc. They rejected all of our 20 issues as marketplace fixes. During the next year all 20 issues and a few others too, were fixed on-line in Germany as we had suggested,. The engine then became super reliable.

In another case a heavy vehicle axle manufacturer had a serious in-service issue – an axle from a fully stabilised tri-group could simply fall out under severe conditions. Being innovative we fixed this and advised Germany at the same time suppling drawings of the modifications. They simply wouldn’t/couldn’t believe it! They flew their Senior Development Engineer out to Cairns and he was driven from there to Sydney (around 3000kms) to experience a typical journey of that era first hand. He was amazed and when he came to my office in Sydney and reviewed what we had devised he immediately advised Germany by telephone and telex to implement a “fix” package and approved the on-line implementation of our initial fix components

So I’ve found that the German (and Japanese Manufacturers too) in particular have always jealously guarded their “national” expertise. In the end they like to make the decisions and to be seen to do so – even if the ideas aren’t their own! As well their product development is second to none IMO!

Some of the world’s most innovative lubricants, especially synthetics, have been devised in Germany – and Castrol have (were) always at the forefront!

In the case of BMW and Castrol their joint recommendation of lubricants is second to none. Minor tweaks can of course be made by those with the expertise of CATERHAM. Such people are few and far between!

Stick with what BMW recommend……………………………

And yes, initial break-in lubricants are used by certain Manufacturers. It's been this way for decades

I wish BMW was like this. Their inability to quickly resolve the problem with the HPFP on the N54 power plant is one example and the fuel delivery system of the M57 diesel(US spec) is another.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

It also goes to show that you don't need to run a such heavy oil as TWS 10W-60 if you drive your M3 like your grand mother.

My grandma drives her M3 like she stole it ...... which in fact she did.

Originally Posted By: dparm
There is indeed a transport mode used until the cars get to the dealerships. It rev limits them to about 3000rpm to avoid abuse from dock workers, truck drivers, or other non-BMW employees.

So the BMW sales guys can be first ......

Hi all.

I'm the RL 5W-30, 40W race mix guy. My reasoning behind not running the TWS is that I don't track my car with 12k miles on the oil; which is the only reason I can see for running the TWS. My UOA results from street use with thinner Redline oils show significantly less wear (particularly Pb) than the TWS results I see here .

There is lots of good advice on this forum about risks associated with the change I've made. Once I get a UOA after some track hours, maybe we can dispel some of the concerns about running thinner oils with different additives than the TWS.

Originally Posted By: Radiation_Joe
Hi all.

I'm the RL 5W-30, 40W race mix guy. My reasoning behind not running the TWS is that I don't track my car with 12k miles on the oil; which is the only reason I can see for running the TWS. My UOA results from street use with thinner Redline oils show significantly less wear (particularly Pb) than the TWS results I see here .

There is lots of good advice on this forum about risks associated with the change I've made. Once I get a UOA after some track hours, maybe we can dispel some of the concerns about running thinner oils with different additives than the TWS.

Unfortunately, if the RL HAS somehow increased wear by a significant amount, you likely won't see the results of that in a UOA due to the extremely narrow range of particle sizes sampled. It would require an actual tear-down to see how the engine is wearing.

Yes you're running a lower grade oil but not necessarily a lighter oil in terms of actual operational viscosity.
One thing you are doing is running a lower VI oil than TWS which is a counter-productive approach IMO.
The only way to know if you're actually running a lighter oil than the TWS and by how much, is by installing an oil pressure
gauge, which correlates with HTHSV after the affects of oil shear, fuel dilution etc. A UOA only provides a kinematic measure which does not correlate well with operational viscosity particularly when comparing two widely different oil chemistries as is the case with RL and TWS.

Hi all.

If you have a major problem while the car is still in it's 5 year warranty period and have the coin to repair or replace your engine and are willing to do so I say do whatever you like. If not, you can expect to see some future issues with BMW should a problem occur.

I may have the coin to repair my performance, and other family vehicles, but prefer that my warranty for these vehicles remains intact until it times out (as I've already paid for that warranty when I purchased these vehicles new from the dealer). At that point I'm on my own with respect to paying for all issues anyway.

Originally Posted By: m6pwr
The thing that really surprised me is the viscosity at 100 degrees C of 11.4, which is a thick 30 weight. That would be abnormal or critical IF the factory fill was the normal TWS, but I don't think the factory fill was originally a 10w60. Even with the fuel dilution (which is within limits), I don't think a 60 weight would thin out to that degree in just 1200 miles.

The 1,200 mile oil BMW uses will have been made by either Castrol or Pentosin. Most likely Castrol as this is their current and long time go to guy's for motor oil. Perhaps the German made 0W-30 if not TWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back