Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30, 9313 KM, 2018 Ford Eco Boost

Truck had 175564 km or about 109,000 miles when I sent this recent sample.
A longer duration on the OCI than previous sample.

Replaced air filter shortly after previous sample at around 150,000 km I think.

Boron Depletion is a trending concern. Not sure if AGAT reports it earlier than other oil analyzers.

Seeing fuel dilution again.

Viscosity Index calculates to about 166.

1698837922658.png

I'd opt for a 40 oil to limit fuel dilution lowering visc. Still wear is not bad at all. Thanks for sharing.

Boron Depletion is a trending concern.
It is normal. I've seen a lot of samples where Boron depletes very closely to TBN. Castrol Euro oils and Pennzoil Euro L are exceptions. I have seen lots of samples with these oils where the Boron depletes at only half the rate of the TBN. But if you look at enough UOAs and have VOAs to compare them to you should be able to see this for yourself.

It is normal. I've seen a lot of samples where Boron depletes very closely to TBN. Castrol Euro oils and Pennzoil Euro L are exceptions. I have seen lots of samples with these oils where the Boron depletes at only half the rate of the TBN. But if you look at enough UOAs and have VOAs to compare them to you should be able to see this for yourself.
Which may not be desirable or optimal, or may be due to a different boron compound.

Truck had 175564 km or about 109,000 miles when I sent this recent sample.
A longer duration on the OCI than previous sample.

Replaced air filter shortly after previous sample at around 150,000 km I think.

Boron Depletion is a trending concern. Not sure if AGAT reports it earlier than other oil analyzers.

Seeing fuel dilution again.

Viscosity Index calculates to about 166.

View attachment 186198
Looks ok. Fuel dilution is what it is. 5000 mile oci. .02

Oliveoil2:
Mostly highway, not many trips less than 20 miles.

Most of the time it's at least 40 or 70 mile trips or longer.

Last edited:
I thought magnatec was phased out.
I just purchased 3 x 5 Liter jugs of the GTX Magnatec in October just before changing the oil.

Is it getting rebranded another name? I don't think its much difference than the Castrol Edge, is it?

They had a good supply on the shelf, at my local Midway Distributors/ NAPA auto parts store.

I just purchased 3 x 5 Liter jugs of the GTX Magnatec in October just before changing the oil.

Is it getting rebranded another name? I don't think its much difference than the Castrol Edge, is it?

They had a good supply on the shelf, at my local Midway Distributors/ NAPA auto parts store.
I've heard most of the Castrol products are the same but no proof of it

This is what I thought, but VOA's of magnatec don't really look like either Edge nor GTX, with a lot less titanium and moly.

This is what I thought, but VOA's of magnatec don't really look like either Edge nor GTX, with a lot less titanium and moly.
Yes. I also noticed that AGAT does not have a column for titanium.
Not very many oils seem to use it in their formulation.

Back