Carlyle Tools at NAPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are a new line of tools at NAPA. They're being geared more towards the high end market
of tools such as the professional mechanic. Here's a link to their new online electronic catalog:

NAPA eRACK

What's interesting is while some domestic made tools have been slipping in quality (namely Craftsman and SK), the Taiwanese have been steadily improving their quality. Some Taiwanese made tools such as GearWrench, TopTul, and Carlyle have been setting their sights on tool makers such as Snap-on and Hazet to fashion their tools after.

Try the flea markets on those bins of used sockets and wrenches, they usually are ok and your wallet will like it too. Remember new tools have legs and seem to walk off IMHO. Older tools will never leave you.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's interesting is while some domestic made tools have been slipping in quality (namely Craftsman and SK), the Taiwanese have been steadily improving their quality. Some Taiwanese made tools such as GearWrench, TopTul, and Carlyle have been setting their sights on tool makers such as Snap-on and Hazet to fashion their tools after.

Unless SK succeeds, what us shadetree mechanics used to adore in Craftsman (US made, easy availability,decent quality, easy warranty, decent prices) may disappear into the history books.

Nearly everything else in our lives has been outsourced. I wonder why hand tools is such a passionate subject.

Quote:
GearWrench, TopTul, and Carlyle have been setting their sights on tool makers such as Snap-on and Hazet to fashion their tools after

Agreed but i think the difference is going to be the steel itself.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Look like decent stuff... price tag seems a bit high to me. FWIW, made in Taiwan.

I'm sticking with domestic tools.

+1

You mean to blatantly steal their R & D and infringe on their designs. Sure, lets support that huh? Sorry but I could never support that to save a few bucks. I wouldn't want to be one of the Americans put out of work either.

Craftsman yes as it seems Sears is trying to get out of the better quality tool market. Remember, no warranty, more profits. I haven't noticed a decline in SK. I recently had a 30+year old SK ratchet start to act up. I called SK and they sent me a rebuild kit FREE and it was made here and works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back