Carb jetting for high elevation

I have searched the web quiet a bit and haven't found the info I am looking for....

I have a new piece of equipment that is powered by the B&S 13.5hp 420cc engine. The thing is.... my property is at 7,800 feet elevation. I am pretty certain B&S jets these engines for sea-level or may a little higher out of the factory, but certainly not 8,000 feet.

At which elevation level does a company like B&S recommend the high elevation jet?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I bought a tiller last year. In the instructions it said you needed a different jet for high altitude. I emailed them and they sent it for free. It wasn't a Briggs motor though. My guess is to contact the manufacturer of the equipment or Briggs and ask. You won't be the first to ask the question. Or go to a local small equipment dealer that is at your altitude.

I don't know what B&S recommends, but with most engines as a general rule it starts to make a difference above 5,000. So you should definitely ask, as @c502cid suggests.

It might not make much of a difference, and it might run better. These newer low emission engines are jetted so lean that a little altitude might bring it into a better running A/F ratio range. Run it before you mess with it. If it breaks-up at wide open throttle when warm then you will need to re-jet it.

My folks are at 5500 feet and I never noticed their mowers and tillers running excessively rich with stock jets. My 64 Fairlane on the otherhand was definitely on the rich side when coming from sea level.

It might not make much of a difference, and it might run better. These newer low emission engines are jetted so lean that a little altitude might bring it into a better running A/F ratio range. Run it before you mess with it. If it breaks-up at wide open throttle when warm then you will need to re-jet it.

I am taking the equipment up to the property this afternoon and will fire it up and see how she does. I will report back......

Back