Budget all-band radio?

Unfortunately, fifty dollars doesn't get you a real good SW radio. Too bad they are not made anymore but the GE Super radio was very good for under fifty dollars.

Another option for those still looking: the new Tecsun PL-330 with SSB, about $70 or so currently, shipped from China:

This little guy from XHDATA looks interesting. I like the rugged design, NOAA bands, and the use of standard 18650 battery.

D-608_1024x1024.jpg

Yeah, I just looked at XHDATA D-808 - it seems like a pretty good radio with SSB, and can be found for around $80. Tuner is more sensitive than in Radiwow R-108. Powered by an 18650 cell, too, which I have plenty of.

This guy is good. He has many reviews on small radios...

I collect old radios and maybe have 6 old shortwave Zenith and Hallicrafter radios. There is nothing like listening to worldwide radio on one of them. They are very sensitive. The thrill I get is knowing when these were made the people that made them wound the coils by hand and soldered all the connections with real solder. My Uncle had a Zenith and we would listen all over the world at night to people with their local news. Nowdays you need SSB to be able to understand them because without SSB it sounds like a pig farm. Wife and I listen to Radio Korea sometimes in the evening when they have their English broadcast. I picked up a nice working Zenith at a thrift store in Florida for just $75. Yes it is big and heavy and you can't find batteries for it, but my ears were listening to history before the day was over.

Picked up this XHDATA D-109WB. It had a $12 off clip coupon when I ordered it a few days back, so I decided to give it a try.
Functionality wise, it's very similar to Radiwow D-108, except it has weather band/NOAA instead of air band. The 109 is also a bit larger with a louder speaker, and uses an 18650 battery, which I have plenty of, and charges via USB C. It also has Bluetooth and can play media files from a micro SD card.

All in all, a pretty nice radio, although I haven't had much time to play around with it yet.

EGKJEQA.jpg

Back