Breakdown of non-Flex fuel engine running only E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this engine. It was run 110,000 miles using only E85, although it wasn't a flex-fuel vehicle. I don't see any mention of other components, such as fuel lines, etc.
patriot.gif

http://www.rune85.com/internal engine.htm

Engine was never operated near stoichiometric, nor on the just lean transition of stoichiometric.

I'd not see that there would likely be any wear/damage from that. Could be why it was so clean, with little to no opportunity for carbon build-up. I don't see that it would have been a fun vehicle to drive on E85 'though.

I think some of the mods done to the vehicle inadvertently help with the running of E85. Headers on LS based motors usually cause the vehicle to run lean. That would then be good for the vehicle.

Quote:

I think some of the mods done to the vehicle inadvertently help with the running of E85. Headers on LS based motors usually cause the vehicle to run lean. That would then be good for the vehicle.

The engine in the truck was not modified in any way. The engine you're talking about is a different one discussed at the bottom of the page.

Justin,
think about it. If you fill up with E85, you'll have a blend (maybe 75%) first time. The mix will always be changing with every tank.

flex fuel vehicles can take all the blends possible between E85 and unleaded.

Yes, you would need to adjust the engine based on ethanol content. That's not a big deal for a manufacturer.
Then you would have to verify that the fuel components are ok with the slightly more corrosive fuel that E85 is. Hoses and such may have to be altered.
Seem like you would need to change oil more often so the on board computer has to be adopted to that too.
All and all, you could make virtually any car adjustable to any ethanol fuel without much/any extra cost.
If you have a correct adjusted E85 engine, you will also get more power.
There are many vehicles that may do well with the existing fuel injection and materials used, running well and with no mechanical problems. Had a 95 BMW 316 that never complained once with E85 and my current Jeep with a I6 4.0 does not seem to complain either.

I would imagine that VW specked for 89+ octane fuels (jetta?) would do good with E85 due to high octane, but again, the programming & fuel line degradation is always a concern
frown.gif

I am toying with an idea of modding my Scion tC to run E85
(getting higher compression on engine, programmable ECU & compatible fuel lines), but this is after I have more $ than I know what to do with, although it should not be too bad, 3 grand or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back