Bought a Japanese Arisaka Type 99

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been working on my WWII rifle collection and I bought this the other day more or less on a whim... Spending to much time on Gunbroker is dangerous. I really don't know that much about the Arisaka, but knew I didn't want of the 'last ditch' rifles. This one seemed nice and I paid $240 shipped. How do you all think I did? Don't be afraid to say if I paid to much, I'm just curious. I haven't actually got the rifle in yet, but will post when I do.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=229482640

I remember reading about those rifles in one of my Ackley books. The early models had one of the strongest actions of any military rifle. The late cast versions were just a kaboom waiting to happen.

The rifle appears to be in nice condition. $240 seems like a pretty good price.

Most T99s have very nice bores as they are chrome lined. Take a good look at the "area of corrosion" that the seller mentioned if you plan on firing it.

Also, if you find a source for factory 7.7x58 ammo let me know. I recently bought a T99 and haven't been able to locate any ammo.
frown.gif

I bought a box of norma ammo off of gunbroker. Paid dearly for it though. $50 with shipping. I bought a set of Lee dies and will be loading my own from now on. I load for .303 british, so I already have bullets, and have plenty of 8mm and 30-06 brass to form in to 7.7x58. I spoke to Hornady and they said they should have more available in either June or July, so that should run around $25 a box.

Too bad the chrysanthemum is missing.
That's one of the best parts for me.
I picked up a type 99 barreled action, with intact mum and AA sights, and I picked up a type 38 stock set.

Now I just have to find ALL the rest of the parts to put 2 rifles together.
smile.gif

The gun shows around here have far less old war relics than I would like, so it's slow going.

love the arisakas. I will surely add one to my collection someday. I want one with the Mum on it, those are so cool! But until then I will just have to do with my Izzy M44 and my Tula 91/30! Congrats on the purchase!

Kudos. Im upset that the seller didnt show a pic of the mum even if its not there. Thats a huge deal with these rifles.

I have a 38th year Arisaka chambered for 6.5mm that was handed down to me from my grandpa, who carried it back from WWII. It's in decent condition but missing the bayonet. I've fired about 80 rounds through it so far... Gotta reload the remaining brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back