Biofuel Economics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: callbay
Seems like the joke is on the U.S.taxpayers. Again.
Yes, what else is new? I think we need a study on that study! John--Las Vegas.

This study finds that increasing the federal gas tax and raising CAFE standards would be 20 times as effective in reducing petroleum use? I agree, but good luck accomplishing even one of those objectives, let alone both.

This will likely be locked because it's anti govt/political, but before that happens...

I think the idea was good, to fund these alternative fuels during their development to see if any of them would become a viable alternative. It just seems every year that seems less likely, and unfortunately the industries seem to get larger and larger and more dependent on subsidy making the cutoff all the more drastic.

I dunno, maybe there is a huge technological advance right on the horizon. Otherwise this was a swing and a miss, and it would be nice if we could move on to the next pitch.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

I think the idea was good, to fund these alternative fuels during their development to see if any of them would become a viable alternative. It just seems every year that seems less likely, and unfortunately the industries seem to get larger and larger and more dependent on subsidy making the cutoff all the more drastic.

I dunno, maybe there is a huge technological advance right on the horizon. Otherwise this was a swing and a miss, and it would be nice if we could move on to the next pitch.

Name one new fuel, that has come into existence in the last 60 years, that has been viable without economic subsidies? The absence of new fuels tells you that there is no magic pill out there waiting for R&D to discover. All the advances will come from small technology improvements centered around existing fuels. Sorry...

Note the "corn" reference, and the increase in stuff needed to grow more corn for ethanol.

That's the problem...corn to ethanol, subsidies, lobbies, and the association with those two boondoggles to biofuels.

Petroleum always gets a free kick in terms of being millenia year old stored fuel, and the histrionics that we will go to to assure it's supply, but there are some (including in this thread) that use these studies to discredit biofuels, while advocating unlimited consumption of what must be a finite reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back