best piston driven ar????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright fellas what is the best/most robust/best engineered/most reliable piston ar m4 rifle? i like the hk 416 but unable to purchase one on this side of the pond short of major $. does colt make one? i like colts and have a couple 6920's but want a piston ar.
thanks,
whitearrow->>>--------------->

thanks colt45ws tried the link but seeing that i am @ work at a govt facility i can't open it. it says weapons and filtered.
thanks,

Oh, I didnt know that. Here, Ill quote it for you.
Quote:
Word from a reliable source at HK Ashburn is that the fiirst complete MR556 rifles will be completed/shipped to dealers in or by October 2010. All necessary PO's have been issued for all parts required and the process for assembly and QA is in place. Sources state they are still not satisfied with the cost and resultant sale prices (would like it to be lower) but it appears that at least it will be available some 6+ years after the first HKM4 C's (Commercial) samples were shown at the SHOT Show. HK will also be offering complete MR556 upper receivers that are compatible with US lowers.

I don't have details on the exact configuration, etc. so no need to PM me. I will try to get some details on that once the first guns are assembled later this summer.

The first USMC M27 IAR's (HK416's) will likely see field/combat use sooner than expected (@ 6 months in fact) as part of a planned final user assessment. Some will also be interested to know that the Marine Corps ran a recent test that showed that the IAR gunner can actually maintain a rate of fire equal to or higher than the M249 SAW gunner due to the speed of magazine reloading versus belt reloading, especially when on the move and at night. That being said they are still interested in/looking for a high capacity magazine for the IAR and expect to get one down stream. Combine this new IAR with the new SOST round and watch out! First time out with a well worn HK416 IAR test gun and standard trigger the winning USMC Service Rifle Champion shot a 590 out of 600. He won the USMC Matches with a 587 using a tricked out M16A2 and his personal best for that event is 593. Not to bad for a series production automatic rifle.

G3Kurz

thanks colt for the info. what do you know about this weapon? what is the difference in the mr556 vs the hk416 other than the hk416 is full auto capable?

nevermind colt. i did a little research today on the mr556. it seems that it is pretty much identical to the 416 except full auto capable. at least it uses some of the same components. how does it stack up against some of the top tier piston ar's? i know that it will be pricey but i want a sho nuff go to battle rifle that is dead reliable w/o meticulous,probably mispelled,cleaning involved. not that i have anything at all against cleaning of a firearm in fact i am pretty meticulous myself. but, in a combat situation sometimes things don't get done like they would in your comfy home.
thanks,
whitearrow->>>------------------>

The Para Ord guns are good quality guns. They are not piston guns though, they are a different take on the direct gas system. Honestly while the piston system makes the AR about 2x as reliable according to the last set of US rifle tests, it still is not high on my list of go to guns. For the price of a piston AR you can have an DSA FAL, a AUG, or many other fine guns.

Personally I would take a Beretta AR70/90 or a Daewoo before an AR. They combine the better parts of the AK and the AR15 into a really nice gun.

In all honestly most of the people who buy semi auto rifles will never use them in a battle situation. I never think that I will. The AR is a really nice rifle because of the parts that are available and the price of magazines, they are not a super bad rifle. The first AR I bought was in 1974 though I sold it in 1979 and have had 4 after that but they seem to get sold or traded easily for something more interesting. I am not an AR owner now though. Yes I will say there are way better rifles I don't care for the DI gas system . But with a Colt or a BCM [which have the best parts] I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage with one unless I was in the Desert.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The short barrel really messes up the reliability [greatly] as compared to the 20 " barrel.

Very true the higher port pressures are hard on the action. A pigtail gas tube does help a bit. I prefer the mid length system to the carbine as a bit of a compromise.

As for the taking it into battle....many of us wont, but I have my FAL just in case the SHTF. I have also seen some hunting AR guns act up in the field.

The first AR I owned was in the early 70 called 'I think " an XM which was an 11 inch barrel with a long flash suppresor to make the barrel 16 inches and a folding stock. I wasn't a Colt and it had troubles . I remember changing parts though not exactly which parts and after selling that p.o.s I bought Colts with the 20" barrels and with equal use never had any problems. I sometimes wish I still had the Colts but I sold them .

The short barrel really messes up the reliability [greatly] as compared to the 20 " barrel.

Only if you have a fun switch...

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Only if you have a fun switch...
I live in the wrong state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back