Best Low Cost Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm keeping an eye for one too, and each one I run across I see how much play there is at the chuck. All of the smaller new Chinese drills seem to have a noticeable amount of play, larger older US made ones are almost like mills.

Just get yourself a used vertical milling machine Pablo. You can drill with it all day and you are only a few ebay stops away from being able to make some rocking custom stuff.

Have owned 2 different grades of China. Best is now in shop HORRIBLE!!! . Cheaper one was much worse. Belt tightening system SUCKS! Have replaced China belts with Gates, still can't get tight enough but what at lowest speed, chuck can be held with less than 6inch handle. If belts don't slip, motor will stall. These were both floor height with 3/4 rated motors.

In between, had an older American made Craftsman, but it used tiny "shoestring" belts that couldn't be kept from slipping either!

Even Delta (at both Lowes and Home Depot) is now the better grade China junk. Read worthless.

I'd try another Craftssman as long as it doesn't use tiny belts . Other wise, I'm holding out for an older US made, or maybe a mill if I could ever figure out where to put it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back