Battery for 2021 Rav4 non hybrid with auto start stop

Hello

I wanted to know what type of battery I need to replace the stock battery in my:
2021 Toyota RAV4
gas - non hybrid
with automatic start stop

what is the group type size? H4? H5?H6? group 47? 48?

I jsut found ths chart

H5 is also called Group 47
H6 is also called Group 48
H7 is also called Group 94R
H8 is also called Group 49

Pretty soon for a replacement battery. I would consider an AGM and the purchase of a battery tender to use when the car may sit parked for more than a few days or a week.

I put a group 48 / H6 in my wife's 2019 Rav4 ICE - but it does not have start / stop so unsure if its different. I did Everstart Maxx from Walmart.

I would personally avoid AGM unless your vehicle was intended for one and has the charge profile for one. I put one in my truck and am a bit disappointed, although I throw mine on a tender occasionally so its really not a big deal, however I won't do that again.

I just spoke with the Engineering dept at Interstate and learned that my battery is a H6 48 EFB

The engineer told me not to put a AGM battery in it as it has a different charging profile and he also said that the EFB will be a much better value in the long run as it will last alot longer.

I just spoke with the Engineering dept at Interstate and learned that my battery is a H6 48 EFB

The engineer told me not to put a AGM battery in it as it has a different charging profile and he also said that the EFB will be a much better value in the long run as it will last alot longer.
Interesting recommendation. A number of websites claim an AGM is an "upgrade" over an EFB and entirely appropriate if additional power and life is needed.
Yuasa states:
Q. What are the differences between EFB and AGM batteries?
A. EFB batteries have been introduced as a lower tier option to AGM batteries in terms of performance and durability. EFB technology relies on improvements to existing flooded technology through the addition of Carbon additives in the plate manufacturing process. AGM batteries benefit from the inclusion of unique design features not found in wet-flooded batteries. These include glass mat separators, recombinant lid technology and higher pack pressures to facilitate improved cyclic lifespan. AGM batteries are better suited to meeting the demands of higher specification vehicles that include one or more of the following technologies: Start Stop, Regenerative Braking and Passive Boost.

Yet this manufacturer says their research shows EFB to be the preferred technology over AGM.

Interesting recommendation. A number of websites claim an AGM is an "upgrade" over an EFB and entirely appropriate if additional power and life is needed.
Yuasa states:
Q. What are the differences between EFB and AGM batteries?
A. EFB batteries have been introduced as a lower tier option to AGM batteries in terms of performance and durability. EFB technology relies on improvements to existing flooded technology through the addition of Carbon additives in the plate manufacturing process. AGM batteries benefit from the inclusion of unique design features not found in wet-flooded batteries. These include glass mat separators, recombinant lid technology and higher pack pressures to facilitate improved cyclic lifespan. AGM batteries are better suited to meeting the demands of higher specification vehicles that include one or more of the following technologies: Start Stop, Regenerative Braking and Passive Boost.

Yet this manufacturer says their research shows EFB to be the preferred technology over AGM.
what I learned in the process, regardless which one is better, is that my car needs a EFB, I don't have an option.

what I learned in the process, regardless which one is better, is that my car needs a EFB, I don't have an option.
Yes, per the recommendation of Interstate, over their charging concerns. I would be curious what Toyota says.
But the other battery sellers and manufacturers do not seem to have the same concerns and claim an AGM is an acceptable upgrade over EFB. The charging profile concern is often times mentioned, but in reality...at least in flooded applications, I have installed AGMs with no issues and typically get longer life.

My BMW E39 540 had a flooded that I switched to AGM and five years out, still exceeds its 900CCA rating at around 1000CCA.

Back