Bar and Chain OIl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
I make up my own gallon of chain saw oil using 3 quarts of the cheapest non-HD 30W mineral oil I can find and one quart of STP (original formula -the thick, sticky stuff), or equivalent. [The Walmart stuff is cheaper). If you don't like the viscosity at cold temps, reduce the STP to one pint and add one pint of "true" synthetic 5W30 oil.

I have two Poulan chain saws that have seen severe service for 6 years and have never had to replace the bars using this "homebrew."

[ December 12, 2002, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

molakule, making your own fluids is an interesting endeavor but last time I bought Poulon (sp?) chain & bar lube, it was $3 for 1 gallon.
shocked.gif

That's cheaper than I have seen it here.

If you can get it for that price, go for it.

The reason I make my own Bar and Chain is that I can tailor the viscosity and anti-wear ingredients.

My mix would probably run $3.25 if you don't count the synth (which I usually have sitting around anyway).

The advantage to a "real" chain and bar oil is in the solvents for the sap. This helps keep the bar clean and avoid as much binding.

Doesn't regular chain/bar oil have lots of rust inhibitors in it? I've tried using on motorcycle chains but it made a hell of a mess.

Widman,

The oil provides the SAP Solvent.

Satterfi,

No more than other oils. The STP has a small amount of rust preventtitive, plus the tackifier for clinging and ZDDP for friction reduction.

If the oil has plenty of tack, it should coat the chain enough to dispell moisture.

If one used a lot of solvents in Bar Ooil, the solvent would destroy the tackifier and thin the oil to where it would not be of much use.

Widman,

I cut wood in Missouri and it is mostly hardwood, Oak, Hickory, Elm, and Walnut.

When a high spped saw chain hits wood that sappy, the sap turns into steam.

Of course, the best time to cut wood up here is in late October when it is cold and the sap
has run to the roots. Cold wood also splits muich better.

offtopic.gif
What types of wood do you cut down there??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back