Bad Fram Cartridge Oil Filter CH8481

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had Fram Cartridge Oil Filter CH8481 in '00 E430 last year. I changed the oil and filter tonight, to my dismay when I remove the oil filter housing the Fram Cartridge Oil Filter dropped out of the housing, I tried to put it back on and it kept dropping out, it was too loose to stay on the housing. The other filters, Hengst or Mann or Bosch, stayed on the housing very tight and it's needed a good pulling to remove from the housing.

If the filter does not fit tightly with the housing, some of the oil may not be filtered and it is not good at all. I would not use Fram Cartridge Oil Filter CH8481 again, even Fram provides the filters for free.

The filter housing (copied from partsgeek.com): http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/mercedes/e430/engine_mechanical/oil_filter_housing.html

Dunno, but neither the K&N and Fram cartridge filters I've used on a VW 2.0T would fit snugly onto a cap, even though some said they were supposed to.

I don't see how this would affect filtering ability, though. Once the cap is screwed in it's a tight seal between the top of the filter and the cap.

The filter is supposed to fit tightly with the shaft of the housing, if it does not fit tightly with the shaft then oil may go in through the opening between the filter and the shaft.

I may be wrong that it doesn't matter if it loose fitting or not, but I don't want to take chance that it may/may not filter the oil as it suppose to. Also, the cost of other quality filters is only $2-3 more than Fram and it is a one year/12-14k miles maintenance item so that the saving is not worth the potential problem (real or imagination).

By the way, Fram CH8481 is made in Korea and Bosch is made in USA. $2-3 more for a quality filter made in USA is worth every penny.
34.gif

Those filters seal at the ends of the cartridge, don't they.?
a loose fit within the can won't cause trouble as long as the o rings seal at the ends.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Those filters seal at the ends of the cartridge, don't they.?
a loose fit within the can won't cause trouble as long as the o rings seal at the ends.

That's my take. The seal is with the polymer end cap acting like a gasket. Nothing should be able to bypass the filter media from what I see in the image. The "plunger" appears to insert into some hole, leaving the end cap seated against something ..and the screw on cap appears to provide the other end of the seal on this DOE (double open end) filter.

Not that it wouldn't cause me to buy filters that did fit a bit more snug ..but I don't see the functional flaw here.

TC and GA sre both correct
the OP is wrong but still free to choose the filter he wants, however it would be best if he refrained from filter critiquing in the future IMO

Nothing wrong with frams unless you choose to believe internet [censored]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back