Ariens or Husqvarna push mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to buy my mother a new 3 in 1 lawn mower. I think I have it narrowed down to one of these
Ariens ]or Husqvarna I think they are the same mower with a different name. What do you think?

Last edited:
Either brand will do. Don't allow fuel to sit in the carb. too long.Install a valve in the fuel hose and run engine to burn fuel out of carb.before storing

I've got the Husky ,but mine has the Honda engine.To put it simply,the rest of the mower has fallen apart around the engine.The drive works well(self-prop)amazingly with six years of Florida lawn abuse and some commercial cut wear and tear.The auto-choke gimmick broke this year,a zip-tie fixed that.I dont know if Kohler has a better engine or not,but it'll probably outlast the[rest of the mower], too.

Same exact mowers, minus the wheels and the brand. No experience with that kohler engine, But it's probably good.

Have you considered Toro? I have a vintage 1992 21" and it was used to cut approx 26,000 sq ft of lawn until 2005 when I bought a lawn tractor. Outside of oil, a few replacement spark plugs and air filters the only repairs have been a replacement cable to activate the rear drive and a belt. Clean it and sharpen the blade several times during a season and it was completely trouble free. I still use it for trimming and would replace the B&S Quantum motor if it ever gives out. Not sure if Toro is the same quality it use to be but I would check into it.

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
I am looking to buy my mother a new 3 in 1 lawn mower. I think I have it narrowed down to one of these
Ariens ]or Husqvarna I think they are the same mower with a different name. What do you think?
That would be correct. Ariens has subbed out their push mowers and smaller lawn tractors sold at HD to Husqvarna. I know this because I bought an Ariens lawn tractor at HD last summer. If you were to look closely at the Ariens you would likely see it somewhere on the mower.

They are made/assembled in Orangeburg SC along with Craftsman, Poulan, and AYP and others. I also have a Kohler engine with no indication that it is made in China as stated earlier in this thread, though it wouldn't surprise me. Mine has a 19 hp Kohler Courage engine.

Sightly off topic, I have put myself in as part of a class action settlement against Kohler (and others) regarding advertised HP. Seems the manufaturers have been overstating the HP of their engines. I will say that the 19HP engine seems no more powerful (or perhaps as powerful) than the 14.5 Kohler I had on my previous Craftsman lawn tractor.

That said, I wouldn't see any problem with the purchase of either push mower, but between the two would likely go with the Ariens from HD, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back