Are a lot of fields/jobs/industries not as busy in the winter time?

I just called my usual shop I use that is typically 2 weeks out for automotive work. They were like, you want to bring it by this afternoon? Huh? Sure! If I did that in June or July it would have been a 2 or 3 week wait before they could get to it. Personally, I think it's a warm weather world we live in for many industries. Either that or people are just recovering from christmas, so they're tight on their budgets. Opinions?

people travel less and the cold generally speaking isn't as hard as the heat on automotive parts, because systems usually generate heat and the cold air helps them dissipate that heat more effectively.

Golf courses are pretty empty around these parts in the winter. Marinas too. The local artisan chocolate shop is going like gangbusters though!

I dunno, shops here are still at least a month out. Body shops three months.

I used to know someone who owned a muffler shop. They said that once winter hits people put off repairing exhausts (if they can) until after things warm up and they stop salting the roads.

A lot of places around here have been stupid slow since the start of the year.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
I just called my usual shop I use that is typically 2 weeks out for automotive work. They were like, you want to bring it by this afternoon? Huh? Sure! If I did that in June or July it would have been a 2 or 3 week wait before they could get to it. Personally, I think it's a warm weather world we live in for many industries. Either that or people are just recovering from christmas, so they're tight on their budgets. Opinions?
Christmas spending and tax season?

I was told this was the case when I worked at the tire shop. Once people settled in on their snow tires they had no reason to venture out. I think, also, there are lots of second/ hobby cars and those get attention in April/ May when they come out of hibernation. I know at least personally I try to get any elective work done before winter so I don't have to do it in the cold, and my cars are in the best shape they can be.

People have a budget hangover after Christmas.
I've been having trouble getting paid by some of my customers. Pretty sad when you do the work, send out the invoice and realize you were just doing charity work. Could have stayed home on the couch

Back