Apparently my old PC is worth more than I thought

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
I recently sold my old PC, which was nothing special even when I built it way back. I though I did good by getting $150 for it.

Turns out I was wrong, just found it on FB marketplace for $650, although they guy did throw in an RX580 graphics card and a monitor. It is definitely mine as I painter the front grill silver and added the led fans, there is no mistaking it. Pictures are from the add, not mine.

I do wonder what price it will eventually go for.

What do you guys think?

76F89B90-9C18-4CD9-BFB6-4D6F9AD61030.jpeg

714382D6-781D-4F71-8E68-1B34422DE770.jpeg

5E58E14A-D202-429F-998A-2BBBFC7273AD.jpeg

6D1D3FDA-69CF-4A80-A476-8069C54A4AE2.jpeg

Last edited:
The card he installed might have been used in crypto mining. Most eBay cards sold used are and they have lived 8.5 of 9 lives.

Not to mention GPU prices, especially on the secondary market, tend to track pretty closely with crypto prices.

Right now crypto on the whole is soft, and GPU demand is low.

I was surprised a few months ago when I was able to pick up a pair of RX580 Sapphires in Sonnet eGPU enclosures(and no signs of ever being used for mining) for $300 for the pair...

Lian Li? Never heard of it. If I'm buying a used computer I want a name brand. Dell, HP, Apple, etc., not something cobbled together from random spare parts, no offense intended.

Lian Li? Never heard of it. If I'm buying a used computer I want a name brand. Dell, HP, Apple, etc., not something cobbled together from random spare parts, no offense intended.
Lian Li is a well known PC case manufacturer.

Lots of people buying PCs in the used market are builders and would actually stay away from Dells and HPs since in many cases they use proprietary parts.

Lian Li make some budget steel cases now but still mostly known for their expensive aluminum cases. They've been around for a long time. I still have one from... 2007.

H97, what's that, Intel 4000 series? Even with a monitor and a RX580, it's a very high asking price. Used computer parts have very low resell value around my location. Without the RX580 and monitor? I think you did good at $150.

H97 motherboard with an OEM Intel cooler sitting on top of what I'm guessing is an i5 for $650?

He must have been typing the price with the numpad and accidentally hit the 6 instead of the 3.

Lian Li make some budget steel cases now but still mostly known for their expensive aluminum cases. They've been around for a long time. I still have one from... 2007.

H97, what's that, Intel 4000 series? Even with a monitor and a RX580, it's a very high asking price. Used computer parts have very low resell value around my location. Without the RX580 and monitor? I think you did good at $150.

I liked that case and it was high quality, very light as well. My current build is also in a Lian Li case, but it's steel and much heavier as a result.
And yes it is an i5 4690 and 16gb ddr3 memory. I read the add again and he includes a 22 inch monitor, not the one pictured. The price is definitely crazy, but I guess he's banking on people's lack of knowledge, probably a parent looking for a PC for their child to play Roblox or Fortnite, which it will definitely do.

H97 motherboard with an OEM Intel cooler sitting on top of what I'm guessing is an i5 for $650?

He must have been typing the price with the numpad and accidentally hit the 6 instead of the 3.

I threw on the original intel cooler (I was was suprised I still had it) because I decided to keep the one and only, the legend, the Cooler Master Hyper 212. :D

Not really lol, but it does fit my current AM4 build, and it will be a great backup in case my AIO goes south. One cannot have too many spare pc parts.

the one and only, the legend, the Cooler Master Hyper 212
Still my go-to cooler! We have four desktops in the house and three of them have Hyper 212s on them. Hard to beat them for the price but the shiny chrome doesn't look good in a modern PC with a glass side panel.

Would've put one on my wife's 3700X but she wanted to use the Wraith Prism that came with it for the RGB despite how loud it is. It is a pretty neat looking air cooler.

not only that - its hazardous waste.
Flee-bay, etc rather than pay to dispose (or
just chuck out, that would not B nice of U ).
It’s a perfectly working PC that would serve very nicely for internet surfing/streaming/watching YouTube until windows 10 is no longer supported, at least for the price I sold it at. I didn’t know the guy buying from me would try to make a quick buck. If he does, good for him I guess?

However, it’s not e-waste just yet.

I threw on the original intel cooler (I was was suprised I still had it) because I decided to keep the one and only, the legend, the Cooler Master Hyper 212. :D

Not really lol, but it does fit my current AM4 build, and it will be a great backup in case my AIO goes south. One cannot have too many spare pc parts.
Still my go-to cooler! We have four desktops in the house and three of them have Hyper 212s on them. Hard to beat them for the price but the shiny chrome doesn't look good in a modern PC with a glass side panel.

Only Noctua, only hardcore!!! 🤘 (or water cooling)

Only Noctua, only hardcore!!! 🤘 (or water cooling)
Meh, air cooling is not what it used to be ever since AIO water coolers have become affordable and somewhat reliable.
I remember great coolers from Prolimatech, Scythe, Zalman, Thermaltake. Some crazy designs as well. Noctua was always conservative in their designs, although always performed very well.

Meh, air cooling is not what it used to be ever since AIO water coolers have become affordable and somewhat reliable.
I remember great coolers from Prolimatech, Scythe, Zalman, Thermaltake. Some crazy designs as well. Noctua was always conservative in their designs, although always performed very well.
I remember those round cooper Zalmans. That was my choice in the past.
Noctua is like Toyota, it can be boring, and ugly but it will perform very well and work reliably for many many years. BTW some Noctua coolers ar beating or on par with AIOs ( I think some models will ship you new brackets for new MB sockets so when you upgrade you keep your cooler)

I remember those round cooper Zalmans. That was my choice in the past.
Noctua is like Toyota, it can be boring, and ugly but it will perform very well and work reliably for many many years. BTW some Noctua coolers ar beating or on par with AIOs ( I think some models will ship you new brackets for new MB sockets so when you upgrade you keep your cooler)

Oh baby! These were all the rage when they came out! I had the GPU heatsink version and it was a beauty.
1666196949582.png

Depends, you're going to need a top-of-the-line 360mm AIO to match my Dark Rock 4 Pro; although I am leery on having such a huge and heavy thing on my motherboard.

Back