Anything easily applied by hand to a car that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have before pictures but here are some of the after pictures done with the cheapo Walmart small buffer with Meguairs Ultimate Compound followed by SwirlX. Once again, depending upon your paint's hardness and the chemicals being applied, one can make quite a lot of difference with very cheap tools.

tu4Mzh.jpg

More at http://imgur.com/a/V4m5f#tu4Mz

Could always try a clay bar after a good wash of the vehicle.

I have used Autoglym for years, Super Resin Polish I think, goes on and comes off really easily.

Have tried Meguiers but though the finish was good the one I used I found it harder to get the polish off.

I only ever used AutoGlym super resin polish on my WRX that I bought new in 2004, I used to polish it three or four times a week!

But the fuel consumption and my lack of self control made selling it advisable! Never really looked after the Legacy the replaced it quite as well.

I just picked up a Ryobi 10" Orbital polisher for about $30 from Home Depot. I had the 6" polisher in hand and decided to put it back, that might have been a mistake. But I guess they're cheap enough to own both if I want. Next chance I get I will try it out. I figure if anything this machine might just get me waxing a little more, time will tell.

It is better to have a 6" polisher than the 10" polisher. Usually they have the same motor and thus makes sense to have the smaller version. You might still be able to exchange them at Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
It is better to have a 6" polisher than the 10" polisher. Usually they have the same motor and thus makes sense to have the smaller version. You might still be able to exchange them at Home Depot.

I was thinking wax removal, and my full size van came to mind. My thoughts were the 10" would be faster and easier than the 6". The truth is they were priced cheap enough to own both...

I don't have before pictures but here are some of the after pictures done with the cheapo Walmart small buffer with Meguairs Ultimate Compound followed by SwirlX. Once again, depending upon your paint's hardness and the chemicals being applied, one can make quite a lot of difference with very cheap tools.

tu4Mzh.jpg

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

thanks! one of the nice thing about a el cheapo buffer is that it is virtually impossible to screw up the paint even if you are a bone-head :) This approach might not work on very hard paint but if your chemicals are working by hand, then it is definitely worth to put the $20 towards the el cheapo 6" wax spreader. select 1'x1' spot on the paint and have at it with Ultimate Compound and then SwirlX/Ultimate Polish. I did not even bother to swap the bonnet; just used the regular woolen bonnet which was included in that buffer. you are not going to get the concourse finish but you can make it look very respectable from 1 foot.

This approach does not work for people who needs to have the best and most expensive tools and chemicals and deride ghetto techniques.

tu4Mzh.jpg

Is that the same car in this album?
https://picasaweb.google.com/117978808290111570308/MeguiarsRotaryBuffer#5514917084937032466
The caption reads that you used a rotary to correct the paint, hmmm

true but that was a while ago; last time I used the 6" wax spreader on that panel but did not have the new pictures.

KLASSE AIO then KLASSE SG. These two work for me but I'm using the old "high VOC" formula .

Random orbital polisher is best when getting started.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
KLASSE AIO then KLASSE SG. These two work for me but I'm using the old "high VOC" formula .

Random orbital polisher is best when getting started.

What size polisher do you recommend?

He us talking about the real thing i.e. the highly rated Dual Action Random Orbiter; variants of that run at least $100 plus shipping; 5.5 inch backing plate and 6" pads to go with them.

He us talking about the real thing i.e. the highly rated Dual Action Random Orbiter; variants of that run at least $100 plus shipping; 5.5 inch backing plate and 6" pads to go with them.

Thanks!

Frank,

Grab the Ultimate Compound bottle and try the wax spreader that you have already bought from the big box store. What kind of bonnets did it come with? Is this one of the Wien 10" unit? They usually have a terry and wool one. Try wool and UC on your oldest vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back