Anyone use a computer type case to carry concealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the computer cases with shoulder straps I see people carrying into places like Panera Bread.

Seems like there would be a lot of room in a case like that for a pistol and spare ammo.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: callbay
Like the computer cases with shoulder straps I see people carrying into places like Panera Bread.

Seems like there would be a lot of room in a case like that for a pistol and spare ammo.

Any thoughts?

I won't carry off-body. Maybe a BUG in a bag, but my rule is on-body only.

Carrying off-the-body is sometimes the only method left to you, but it's by no means ideal. You cannot EVER let it out of your sight, and it's best to set it between your feet when seated.

There's the problem of presentation. You'll need to shop around to see what case will meet your needs. Figure out exactly where and how in the case to carry it, and in which compartment. Be prepared to set up or make compartments/dividers/holster supports from some stiff material such as cardboard or very thin plywood. This also prevents printing with softer cases. Be creative with "paperwork" that flops to the side to cover the gun compartment. Set it up so you don't have to go through closed zippers, but instead make it a simple reach and grab setup. Practice, practice, practice your draw.

Lastly, act and dress as "just another person" with your (covertly modified) nothing-special computer case. Remember the old submarine corps motto....Run silent, run deep.

Eh...carrying in a bag is a little too inconvenient. When I carry concealed, which is rare, its usually pocket carry, or if in winter, a shoulder rig.

I'm too fat for a front pancake holster, and I hate to carry concealed on the side.

In the winter though with my 15 year old leather coat, I. ould easily carry a folding stock home defense shotty under my arm and no one would be any the wiser.

The man purse calls attention to itself, especially if the person doesn't look like someone who would carry a man purse.

I have carried concealed in a Samsonite leather zip binder. There were a string of armed robberies around campus at the time...some violent. The thing actually had a perfect slot for a glock 19 in it.

Two reasons I don't carry off body.

1. It's to easy for a purse/computer snatcher to grab your gun bag and make off with it.
2. The time involved in retrieving a gun from a bag/briefcase/backpack when you need it the most is just to much. (Same goes for ankle holsters)

Carrying on your body using something like a Supertuk or Cross Breed inside the waistband holster gives you much better weapon retention AND a faster draw. Also look into appendix carry, works well with small and even some medium sized hand guns.

If your carry pistol is small, consider a "smart phone / pager" style belt holster. Carry in a off body bag is a pain - even if and when it is the "best available" option.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
Please explain appendix carry.

Thanks

1 to 2 o'clock if you're right-handed. And yes, there is a barrel pointed at your manbits or femoral artery.

Yep, a good way to carry sometimes with the right type of gun but you do have to be careful. A 1911 cocked and locked would be a no no but a lightweight revolver or some DAO autos would be OK, IMO.

Originally Posted By: jhMalibu
Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
Please explain appendix carry.

Thanks

1 to 2 o'clock if you're right-handed. And yes, there is a barrel pointed at your manbits or femoral artery.

Last edited:
There was a good article on this very subject in the latest "riflemen" magazine.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
You guys crack me up.

Because you live in a constitution free zone and can't carry?

BTW my wife (married 25 years) has bled me dry and she keeps my manbits in a jar on top of the fridge so I don't worry about appendix carry too much.

Sorry for the thread drift..
grin2.gif

Any ideas how to keep from leaving the off body case somewhere?

If carrying a firearm in it isnt enough to get you to remember it, carry your phone, wallet, or a thousand bucks cash in the case as well. You wont leave it ANYWHERE.

If that is a serious concern, maybe you shouldn't carry a gun in a bag.

Originally Posted By: whip

If that is a serious concern, maybe you shouldn't carry a gun in a bag.

+1 Computers and purses get stolen every day at Coffee Shops and restaurants when someone gets up from the table "just" to get a napkin from the dispenser. Or even if they set it beside their chair, someone walks by and just grabs the bag in mid stride and it's gone forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back