Any Difference between FL1A and FL-400s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any difference in the MotorCraft oil filter FL1A and the FL400s? I have seen different areas saying, you MAY use either or.....what's the dif between them then?

The FL1a is larger and more common on older applications. The fl-400s is smaller and used on newer applications that used to use the FL1A. They are both the same thread so this is why you can interchange them if space permits the mounting of FL1A. I think newer technology, and also environemntal concerns is why they made it smaller (fl400s).

Motorcraft website has specs on the oil filters.

Motorcraft filters with an "S" in their part number signify that they use a silicone anti-drainback valve.

The FL-1A's media ends are sealed by way of a metal clip.

The FL-400S media ends are supposed to be bonded together. I would suggest you open your used ones to make sure you weren't getting bad production runs like I was.

Quote:

Motorcraft filters with an "S" in their part number signify that they use a silicone anti-drainback valve.

That's only true for the ones that were ever made without a silicone anti-drainback valve. There are Motorcraft filters that have always been made with a silicone anti-drainback valve and do not have an S in the part number.

The S was probably added to differentiate the old stock from the new stock.

Very slight difference in the gasket diameters, but I have vehicles that spec both FL1A and FL400 and each has the same diameters on the engine block where the filter mounts.

I have been running FL1A on 3.0 pushrod Vulcan engine in Aerostar for several years, yet it specs FL400s.

Brian703 it would would be good to know which of the Motorcraft filter's besides the "S" series have the silicone anti-drainback valves as this question comes up from time to time.

the current FL-400S, used to be called just the FL-400. i have an old one kicking around that i bought for a joke at Pep Boys. they are noticeably different in the ADBV. i will find it and take pictures. i believe that the FL-820S used to not have the silicone ADBV.

so i could use the 400s in place of the 1A and not have any issues?

i have 2 filters sitting on the shelf that need to get used up, don't have a vehicle that uses them anymore.

I use a FL793 sized filter where a FL300 belongs ..I can also use a FL1A ..or just about any of them in the 3/4-16 with the 2.8/2.2 (or there 'bouts) gasket.

I also put an FL1A size filter on my daughter's Taurus with the 3.0 that calls for the FL400S ..just like TallPaul.

Also, the silicon anti-drainback is not an issue on the 3.0 V6 because it mounts at a 45 degree downward dangle. Never had a drainback problem with it.

Now my F150 which specs the FL1A has a horizontal mount and should have the silicon. But I use Wix which I believe is silicon.

Quote:

Brian703 it would would be good to know which of the Motorcraft filter's besides the "S" series have the silicone anti-drainback valves as this question comes up from time to time.

As one example, either the FL-200 or the FL-300, whichever is the newer one, has a silicone ADBV. The only way to know is to check..the silicone ADBV is orangish/red.

Quote:

i believe that the FL-820S used to not have the silicone ADBV.

It didn't...the silicone ADBV was added to that filter around 1995-1996. There's a Ford TSB for the Contour/Mystique with the 2.5L Duractec engine that came out around that time recommending the new FL-820S to resolve start-up noise. And for several years after that the FL-820S packaging referred to the "new" silicone anti-drainback valve. Maybe it still does
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back