Amsoil 5W-30, 1998 Prizm - 1.8 ltr engine, 11,462 mile interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil analyzed: Amsoil 5W-30 ASL (full synthetic)
Vehicle: 1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSI, 1.8L engine

First Oil Sample Interval: 4+ months / 7, 243 miles

Oil Filter used: AC (when I sampled this oil back in August, I installed a new oil filter)

Second Oil Sample Interval: 7 months / 11,462 miles

Total Vehicle Miles: 73104
Make-Up Oil: 2.5 qts

Vehicle was driven on the freeway to work (typically 65 to 75 mph)
This analysis was preformed by OAI (sample sent to CTC).

code:

IRON 14 / 30

CHROMIUM 1 / 1

LEAD 1 / 1

COPPER 9 / 12

TIN 0 / 0

ALUMINUM 3 / 4

NICKEL 0 / 0

SILVER 0 / 0

SILICON 17 / 17

BORON 26 / 24

SODIUM 13 / 16

MANGANESIUM 730 / 692

CALCIUM 1905 / 1869

BARIUM 0 / 0

PHOSPHORUS 1027 / 989

ZINC 1392 / 1373

MOLYBDENUM 3 / 1

TITANIUM 0 / 0

VANADIUM 0 / 0

POTASSIUM 0 / 0

Fuel (%VOL) < 1 / < 1

VIS @100°C cSt 12.14 / 12.28

Water(%VOL) 0 / 0.33 A (hmmmmm)

GLYCOL Neg / Neg

TBN 4.59 / 4.74

OXID 12.0 / 11.0

NITR 16.0 / 15.0

Analysis Recommendations (this analysis):
‘Water contamination change oil and filters – If not done when sampled’

I do not know where the water came from, water contamination has not shown up on
any of the other UOA’s.
I am happy with how well the oil held up over the interval.

I changed the oil & filter, and started a cleaning process with Auto-RX.

I'd be willing to bet the higher iron is directly related to that water contamination, as it's causing corrosion in there. This is probably causing the TBN to drop quicker too.

Other than the high iron, the wear metals are excellent.

Bill,

If you sample from the oil pan, using a "Fumoto" valve, you will see more water than if you use a suction pump - especially if the engine has been turned off for more than 10-15 minutes.

You don't have a moisture problem here, or the oxidation would be much higher and you'd see significant thickening....

Viscosity is very stable with ASL ...maybe the Patman is on to something
wink.gif

Thanks for your replies Patman & Tooslick,

Patman, the TBN is higher, the TBN did not drop (I hope my two list of numbers have not cause any confusion). The first set of numbers are for the 1st sample taken in August of this year, the 2nd set of numbers are from the sample taken a couple of weeks ago.
The TBN is probably higher because I added make-up oil when changing the oil filter and make-up for the sample when I drew the 1st oil sample.

TooSlick, I used the suction pump to take draw a sample through the dipstick tube, all of my samples have been taken this way, I plan to take samples this way to try to keep the process the same. I would have thought the water might have affected the oil more, whether by thickening the oil or some other way.
The car did sit around a bit that week that I drew the oil sample (I warmed the engine up before sampling but that might not have been enough).
I was suppose to have replaced the PCV valve by now, I am hoping that by replacing the PCV valve,
the OXID & NITR numbers will be less on my next sample.
Thanks again guys, this BITOG site is really neat,
I know I am addicted to this place, I wonder if there are Rehab centers for BITOG?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:

Patman, the TBN is higher, the TBN did not drop (I hope my two list of numbers have not cause any confusion).

I wasn't confused, I guess I just didn't express myself properly. What I meant was that the TBN has dropped faster than other Amsoil UOAs for other cars, in that at 11k some other UOAs have shown higher TBN values.

HondaGuy, Yes, this engine is also a Toyota design that are in the 1998 and later Corolla's, the 1.8 liter engine was a new engine
design for that year. The previous engines in the 1997 and older Prizm's (and Corolla's) had
timing belt engines, the engines in the 1998 & newer cars had timing chains, there are other differences, here is a link for more information about the engines

http://www.corolland.com/engines.html

Bill

[ November 25, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Bill ]

quote:

I wasn't confused, I guess I just didn't express myself properly. What I meant was that the TBN has dropped faster than other Amsoil UOAs for other cars, in that at 11k some other UOAs have shown higher TBN values.

Patman, this car only holds 4qts of oil so for 11k miles, the TBN is strong.
smile.gif
My car has the same engine and sump so I'm guessing I could get a good 11k maybe out of my ASL.
smile.gif

You really can't ask for much more. This report is excellent. Sometimes what we on BITOG think is high really isn't.
smile.gif

Hi Zoom & Drew,

Part of this make-up oil is for the 1st oil sample taken and the new oil filter put on in August but more make-up oil was needed with the 5W-30 then previously with the 0W-30 in the engine.
I am hoping to get my oil consumption down, I ran two intervals with the S2K Amsoil 0W-30 oil,
and had less oil consumption before using the 5W-30, the 1st run of 0W-30 required 1/2 quart of make-up oil,
the 2nd run of 0W-30 required 1 quart of make-up oil but at the same time I see the oxid & nitr numbers
climbing with each new sample of oil tested.
I am the second owner of this vehicle, I do not know how this car was serviced before me, the increase in make-up oil could be clean-up going on
(just one of my guesses), also, I may need to check and/or clean my EGR set-up, anyway, we will see if the make-up oil goes down on future intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back